13- The Race

CAL:

I sit up groggily, the voices getting louder.

“Dude! He’s probably asleep!”

“Shut up! He should be awake, he’s got school. Just one lap, come on!”

Racking my brain, I realise the voices belong to Kayla’s older brothers, Sean and Ivan. 

“And what if he does actually beat us, eh Sherlock?!” Ivan demands.

“He can’t! He’s too bloody perfect! No way somebody could be an ace at sports, academics and music! It’s bull! Let’s call his bluff!” Sean mutters.

A moment later, the door to the guest room flies open. I raise my eyebrows, the smirk already formed on my lips.

“Told you he’d be awake!” Sean mutters triumphantly, shoving Ivan.

“What’s up guys?” I ask.

“Ivan and I were just about to head off for a run. Wanna join us?” Sean offers, a challenge in his voice.

I grin at him and stand up, wincing as my sore shin aches. “Shoot,” I cuss softly.

“You can chill man. I told you he wouldn’t be up to it! He hurt his leg remember?” Ivan mutters, shoving Sean back.

Feeling reckless though, I shrug off the pain. “I’m up for it! Bet I could beat you guys!”

“Oh! You are so on!” Sean murmurs, grinning from ear to ear.

“What did you say?!” Kayla suddenly demands, walking into the room like the boss.

“Cal is going to do a lap with us,” Sean explains, looking excited.

“No way! He can’t! He hurt his leg!” she exclaims loudly.

“Geez, relax mum! I’ll be fine. Wanna join us?” I offer.

“No. E-Kayla doesn’t run!” Ivan teases, poking his sister.

I notice her turn a delicate shade of red before pushing him roughly. “He’s just kidding! I run. I’m a pro!” she gushes.

Yeah right! I can tell she doesn’t! This should be awesome!

Sean and Ivan stare at her incredulously, the both of them trying to hide their smirks.

“Okay, let’s go!” I murmur, gesturing out the door.

The boys high five while Kayla tries her best to look upbeat.

Ten minutes later, the four of us are warming up. My leg is aching, but it’s a minor thing. I’ve run with worse injuries.

“I have an idea! Loser has to piggy-back the winner!” I chuckle, staring straight at Kayla.

She gulps loudly and her brothers smirk in unison. There’s no doubt she’s going to be the last. The only question is who is she going to end up having to carry?

“I’m in!” Sean calls.

“Me too!” Ivan echoes.

Kayla pales a little, looking worried.

“If you’re scared, you don’t have to,” I mumble, shrugging. I think Kayla isn’t quite the sort of girl to back down on anything!

“No! No! I’m in,” she squeaks.