24- Tryouts

KAYLA:

I watch as Cal gets sucked into the crowd, his expression bewildered. I sighed. He probably didn't hear me, I decided. Shrugging, I tried my best to part my way through the sea of people before finally reaching my classroom. Before I managed to step into it, though, Lizzie suddenly planted herself in front of me, a dazzling smile on her face.

This time, I was prepared for the sudden change in... certain people's behaviour, having already expected it. Before she opened her mouth to speak, though, I beat her to it.

"Look, Lizzie, I really am sorry about the other day. I was just... in a bad mood. Sorry," I mumbled, unabashedly.

Lizzie shrugged, as if it weren't a big deal to her.

"No, its okay, I totally understand, Kayla." Yeah right. "In fact, I want to erm... apologize for, you know..." her voice trailed off. Ha! I bet she's never ever apologized to anyone before. If she had, she would have at least perfected the art of trying to look sincere.

I just smiled, trying to walk around her so I could enter the classroom. Lizzie sidestepped and stood in front of me again, though.

"Listen, Kayla. Why don't you join me for lunch today? I don't know if you've heard, but..." she lowered her voice conspiratorially "... the back-to-school dance is coming up real soon, and we have to snag some guys. And, you know, me being the head cheerleader does have its advantages..." her voice trailed off and she smiled at me as if we were sharing a big secret. "So, what say you? And while we're at it, perhaps you could introduce me to some guys you might now? I don't know, do you have brothers or anything...?" Lizzie asked, a fake innocent look on her face that I wanted to wipe off.

I gave her a tight smile.

"Sorry, Lizzie, as much as I would love to, I can't. I promised my friend I'll have lunch with her."

Smiling at Lizzie's bewildered expression, I crossed the classroom and sat next to Samantha.

---

The bell rang, snapping me out of my reverie. Relieved, I loosened my shoulders, stiff from the hours of hunching over the mountains of papers.

Samantha turned to me.

"So, what are you doing? Wanna come over to my house?"

I smiled, taken aback. We had just met and she was already inviting me over to her house? She's so nice!

"I would love to, Sam, but I can't. I'm sorry... It's just that, I sorta promised my friend that I'll cheer for him." I stuffed my binder into my bag. "He's trying out for the school teams today."

"Oh." She said sadly, then suddenly brightened. "Anyone I know?"

I laughed.

"Definitely! Cal Cafferty, the school everything!"