40- We're Going to America!

KAYLA:

"We're going to America!" Emma squealed, her blonde pigtails in a mess as she tried to stuff all her stuff animals in her Barbie suitcase.

I smiled. Emma was really an adorable kid, whether I acknowledged it or not- if you could get past all the annoying 8-year-old-girl acts she always pulled, that is.

"Emma, we're only going for 4 days. I don't think Bubbles, Teddy, Bluey, Momem and the rest will quite mind if you leave them at home, you know?"

Emma pouted her lips.

"But won't they get lonely? It gets really dark at night, and they won't have anybody to sleep with."

"Weell, I suppose you can leave your night light on. Then they'll be able to see all the time."

Emma frowned.

"Hurm. I'll think about it," she said seriously. "What are you going to bring?"

"Eh? Just a few shirts and jeans, that's all," I mumbled nonchalantly. I mean, what else, right? I doubt that Cal and I were going to do much sight-seeing, since the main reason we were going to America was to find his brother, anyway. 

To be honest, I was quite... excited at the prospect of finally being able to enter an asylum. I mused to myself, wondering what kind of people I would meet. People with severe post traumatic stress disorder, perhaps. Oh, and perhaps I could even meet people like Leonardo in Shutter Island? That would be so cool! Oh! And murderers too, those who did it because they had mental illnesses.

Like Cal's brother, I realized suddenly.

The sudden ringing of my phone rudely interrupted my thoughts, though.

"Hello? Who is this?" 

"Emma, dear, could you please give me my phone?"

"Cal!" Emma squealed, ignoring me. I rolled my eyes. Honestly! That kid could be such a drama queen: By the way she was acting, you would have thought that she hadn't met him for years!

"I'm packing," she said seriously. "Cal, do you think that Momem, Bubbles, Teddy, Bluey, Angel, Caramel,Izzy, Marshmallow, Neils, Rocky, Theo and Daffy would miss me if I left them at home?"

A pause. Then, her eyes grew wide.

"Are you sure?"

She gasped, clutching my phone tightly to her ears. Shaking my head, I wondered what Cal had made up this time.

"Have you seen them?"

"Okay, Emma. Give it to me, let the big kids talk now."

Emma rolled her eyes at me.

"Cal, I am sorry, but I have a dis-ruption. My sister wishes to talk to you," she said loftily, passing the phone to me. I stuck my tongue out at her and rushed to my room, closing the door behind me.