60- What Did He Say?

KAYLA:

The moment Cal was out of ear shot, I immediately grabbed Sam's outstretched hands.

"What were you guys talking about?" I asked, my eyes wide.

"No- nothing!"

"Sam! Come on! Tell me!"

Sam immediately turned tomato red.

"He- he was just asking..." Sam's ears turned red, too, as she lowered her voice, averting my gaze. "If you would like... you know... a hotel room after..."

I creased my brows.

"A hotel room after what?"

Sam looked so mortified, she had actually slid down her chair. I shook her arm, still frowning.

"After what, Sam?"

"The..." I could only see her red forehead by now. "The dance."

"Oh."

I paused, playing with my ice-cream. Well, what was so embarrassing with that? I thought, still staring at the spot where Sam's face was.

"I don't get it," I said out loud to myself. "Why would he ask you, instead of me?"

"I don't know," Sam squirmed. "I guess he was... shy?"

"Shy? Cal's never shy!"

My eyes wandered to Cal, who was still standing with his backs towards us at the counter. What a weird guy! Why did he ask Sam, and not me? What's up with the secretiveness...

Secretiveness?

I gasped.

It was supposed to be a secret, wasn't it? I mean, him, being the awesome boyfriend he was, must have found out that my birthday was a day after the prom! And he wanted to throw a surprise birthday party for me, but he didn't quite know whether I would like to spend a night at the hotel! So, he decided to ask Sam for me!

A grin slid onto my face as i watched Cal take out his wallet.

He was so so sweet! 

"Sam, he's amazing, isn't he? I mean, doesn't this show how much he loves me?" I squeaked, reaching out for Sam's hands.

Instead of smiling back, though, Sam stared at me shell shocked, her mouth open.

"Wha- Kayla!"

"What?" I said, still floating. "Doesn't this show how much he cares about me? I mean, he didn't know whether I'd want it, so he decided to ask you first! But I do want it! It'll be so awesomely fun, don't you think, Sam?"

Sam paled, staring at me in disbelief. I stared at her uncomprehendingly.

"Wait. You... you did say yes, didn't you, Sam? To Cal's suggestion?"

Sam didn't move, and I mirrored her expression.

"Sam! Why didn't you? Oh god, how could you have not agreed? Oh, it will be one of the best nights I've ever had, Sam! Can't you tell Cal I changed my mind?" I babled, suddenly scared that I'd miss out on one of the best birthday parties that I would ever have. How could Sam have not agreed to Cal's suggestion?! Doesn't she know me well enough to guess that I would love love love a birthday party in a hotel? And I'll be in my beautfiul dress and all too! It'll be like playing dress up-

Sam suddenly stood up unsteadily, her face red. 

"I- I think I've got to go to the ladies," she whispered, her face a mixture of horror and... embarrassment?