25- Aiden

CAL:

I watch as Kayla eyes Aiden. I sigh to myself, not quite understanding why her showing an interest in him irritated me.

I can understand why a girl would find Aiden good looking though. Though I do have to admit, he is much better looking than almost all the guys here. Call me shallow or conceited or whatever, but I liked being the best looking guy here! It’s not like it’s going to make a huge difference for me though. We look completely different. I suppose you could say I’m more... pretty than he is?

He’s got dark hair while I have light hair. He has green eyes, I have grey eyes. He’s got those freckles girls find oh-so attractive, while my skin is pretty much flawless. Oh but that, apparently, isn’t too good because it would mean I take way too much care of my complexion. Utter rubbish!

The only thing similar about us is our height. I would reckon we’re actually the exact same height! Thankfully, Aiden’s a junior and I’m a senior. That kind of gives me a one up. He’s way too popular for a junior though.

Good god, Cafferty! Get a hold on yourself!

“Okay guys, huddle up!” coach calls, blowing his whistle.

The ten of us huddle up.

“Alright boys, I want all of you to play as a team, and you guys will be going up against the current football team. I want a good clean game. Cafferty here was on the team, our star quarterback in fact. Think you’d like to play quarterback again son?” he asks kindly.

“You bet coach,” I answer quickly.

I’ve seen Aiden play football during PE. He’s good and fast, but he doesn’t have the experience I have. And despite him being a bloody good runner, I’m pretty sure I can trump him at football.

“Remember, clean game boys!” coach reminds us, heading to the bleachers.

I walk up to the centre of the field and meet Gerard, the current football team captain.

“Hey man! Good luck,” he murmur, giving me a fist bump.

“Yeah, thanks. Try not to get in my way, aight?” I chuckle.

“I’ll try man, I’ll try,” he promises.

We head back to the opposing sides of the field and the coach blows his whistle.

***

“Good game Cafferty!” Gerard calls from across the changing room.

“Back at you! You had me really working for that last goal, huh? I’m surprised coach didn’t throw half of you guys off the team! God, for the number of tackles you guys sent my way...” I trail off, shaking my head, grinning good naturedly.

“Dude! It’s called payback! Remember how hard you used to drill us last year?” Rick shouts out from the showers.

“Yeah, yeah... maybe I do deserve it!” I concede.

“Whatever it is, I’m glad you’re back on the team man. We could really use an experienced captain,” Gerard murmurs genuinely.

“There’s nothing suggesting that I am on the team! Let on in line for the captainship,” I mutter.

“Shut up man! Humility is overrated! You played like the pro you are! Outclassed all the newbies. And if that isn’t enough, you’re like a son to the coach! There’s no way you won’t get on the team,” Alex murmurs, smirking wide.

“Yeah, yeah, we’ll see what happens! Anyway, I’ll be heading off now,” I call over my shoulder.

A chorus of ‘byes’ float towards me as I jog across the field to the bleachers. I told Kayla to wait for me.