35- Will You Go To the Formals With Me?

CAL:

“Hey...” Kayla whispers, creeping up behind me.

I ignore her and continue staring at the little crack on the wall.

“You okay?” she asks softly.

“Yeah, just peachy!” I mutter sarcastically.

“It’s recess...you should eat Cal...” she tries.

“Not hungry,” I mumble.

She nods her head and leaves me.

“You know what? Don’t leave me,” I beg. She turns towards me immediately and walks back towards me. She sits down beside me, and takes my hand firmly.

“I’m here,” she assures me. “You want to talk?”

“Nope,” I mutter, shaking my head.

“Oh...okay...I’m kinda hungry though,” she admits sheepishly.

I smile at her and pull her to her feet. “We’ll eat then. Come on,” I murmur, dragging her along with me.

We walk through the cafeteria, hand in hand, and people ogle. Yeah, yeah, get used to it.

“People are staring,” Kayla murmurs, stepping closer to me.

“Yup. So far it’s only been a rumour about us dating. Now everyone can see the rumour is true,” I mumble, my head far, far, far away. 

We wait in line patiently and after an eternity, we finally get to the front. I grab a tray and take a bit of everything for Kayla. I pay, then carry the tray to the table furthest at the back.

“Hey Cal! Come join us!” the cheerleaders call.

“Nope, I wanna spend today with my baby,” I murmur back. I notice half the cheerleaders throw death glares at Kayla and she shrinks into my side. I can’t help but grin at that.

“Dude, over here!” Keith murmurs, gesturing to the single empty seat.

I point out Kayla and shrug.

“Hey Kayla,” Sam mumbles shyly from another table.

“Can we sit with Sam? Please? I don’t want her to be alone,” Kayla begs.

“Anything for you,” I shrug going to the seat opposite Sam.

“Hey Sam,” I greet cheerily.

“Hi Cal,” she whispers back, blushing. Ah, I see the crush isn’t entirely gone yet.