Nine Boys...- Chapter 31

Chapter Thirty-One

    I took a few deep breathes as I remembered the last few days. Derek had told me about the trial going on. Apparently those who helped Mason and Clare were rogues that have done much to many families. We weren’t their first victims, but because of us, we will be the last.

    Come to find out that Franklin and Taylor’s parents had been the first ones the rogues had killed. That their father, Cole, was the target. Their mother had just been in the way which is sad to think about.

    Taylor I’ve seen and we’ve talked. I had smiled when he came over and sat down. He even smiled as I ran a hand through his hair. It was different seeing him like this. The same goth guy I always have known was brighter I’d say. Like he’s found the way he’s been searching for.

    He took my hand off his hair after a while and held it in his. “It’s a lot to take in I know.” He smiled. “I just needed an answer all this time.” He looked at me in the eyes. “I needed to know why they were killed and now I have it.”

    “At least you seem brighter.” I looked out the window. The strength everyone was convincing me that I have still mostly eluded me. Something was missing. A reason why I feel so lost still. But what could be missing to make me whole if I have all my family around me.

    Taylor turned me to look at him and he frowned. “I know that look. It’s the same one I’ve had since my father’s death.” He placed his other hand over my heart. “You feel like you’re missing something in here. Something that makes you feel strong.”

    I nodded. “I don’t know what’s wrong with me.”

    “Nothing is wrong with you. Just like nothing had been wrong with me after my father’s death. Some things just change us, but we are the ones that can decide what we change into. Will you let it tear you up, or will you stand up, stare those bastards in the eye, and tell them that they just made you stronger.”

    I titled my head to the side. “You think I could possibly put a face to what happened?”

    “I believe you must.” He took both my hands. “I’ve done a lot of research over the years to better understand myself. What you need is to see the man that is currently a demon in your mind. A demon can’t be destroyed. A man can.”

    “But I’m scared to see him. To bring a face to the feelings and sounds I heard.” I was physically trembling. “You don’t know how brutal he was.”

    Taylor’s eyes softened as he nodded. “I have an idea. Your hips were fractured from stress. A lot of pressure is needed for something like that.”

    He pulled me to him as I started to shake more. He held me tight stroking my hair. “You are strong. I know everyone has been saying it, but it’s true.” He tilted my chin up. “Promise me that no matter how scared you are that you’ll walk right up to the demonic rogue and look him right in the eye. If you feel strong enough to talk, than talk. Just promise me you’ll at least see him.”

    My jaw wobbled. “I don’t know if I can.”

    “Would you like me to be by your side?” I stiffly nodded and he gave me a tight smile. “See. You will be able to do it.”

    Right at this moment I was trying to keep my heart rate down and not racing as I stood next to Daemon while we wait to enter the trial. It was strange standing in the hall where Daemon and I first made our mating connection.

    Daemon’s hand slipped around my waist and he tugged me a little to him. I looked up just in time before he dipped me. “Do you remember when we first looked into each other’s eyes?”