Nine Boys...- Chapter 30

Chapter Thirty

    My sleep that night wasn’t as deep as it had been of late. Which wasn’t much. But still, I had never been this restless while I slept next to my beloved as I have done since we brought her back from the hospital.

    I couldn’t take it any long. Sitting up I found the source of my own restlessness. Nina was thrashing back and forth in her sleep. “Nina?” I hovered over her stroking her hair trying to sooth her.

    She thrashed more and started to push on my shoulders. She was starting to wake, but why was she pushing me away? She must be fighting an unseen enemy in her mind.

    Then her eyes shot wide and she screamed. I winced and turned my head away. I bared the pain of her voice as I looked back down at her. “Baby, it’s me. Daemon. You’re safe.”

    I heard people rushing toward and opening the door. Light pouring into the room from the hall. Looking up to my dad, he looked just as helpless as I was feeling. He crouched down next to the bed and tried to help me calm Nina down.

    Her arm was pulled away from my shoulder and I turned to see Ian with a needle. He glanced at me for a second before he looked back and drugged Nina. “I’m just sedating her.” He pulled the needle out and placed a small gauze over the puncture he had made.

    Yesterday we had helped Nina drink a special tea made from an herb to strengthen one’s wolf side. With royal’s, it strengthens them as they were their wolves. I had watched last night as her bruises faded away shortly after we gave her the tea.

    I had wished she would now that her body had mended, but not like this. Be careful what you wish for. That statement was now ringing in my ear staring at Nina as she relaxes back to sleep.

    “The human doctor had feared this would be her reaction the first she’d wake. Told me to keep a sedative on hand so she didn’t hurt herself battling the demons in her mind.” Ian rubbed her hand looking worried. The only expression I’ve seen on his face since I’ve known the guy.

    My dad sighed. “But now we know that her soul has mended enough to bring her back to us. We can help her with the demons she has.”

    “No one kill me for saying this, but we’ve got one hell of a Christmas gift.” I frowned at Lane. “Nina waking.” He rolled his eyes as if to say duh. “It’s Christmas right now.”

    I looked over at the clock and he was right. It was one twenty-one on Christmas morning. Nina was coming back to us on Christmas. What more of a gift than this?

    Yesterday had been a short day with the trial. As it was Christmas eve, the trial had to be put on hold for Christmas itself. Most of the families have stayed in town because their whole family was with them, but some traveled back home like the Council of Nine. That’s why the trial was short yesterday. Those leaving had to catch a flight out.

    We had a dinner last night for all the families that stayed. I had stayed up with Nina during the dinner. A few mothers had come up after everyone ate to see Nina. Those mothers had lost their daughters to the rogues. At the time, Nina had healed thank to the tea.

    One woman had asked if she could help in anyway. She wanted to do anything. I had allowed them to help me wash Nina’s hair. I hadn’t done it yet and was planning on doing it when the dinner had ended. I held Nina in her bathroom while the mothers gently washed Nina’s hair for me. I let them as it looked like they needed to do that for themselves.

    They had thanked me when they left and had hoped Nina would come out of her slumber. They got their wish as we all did. Now we just have to wait till morning to see my beloved’s true state of mind.