Nine Boys...- Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

    I shot up and covered my mouth to stop the scream that wanted to force it's way out. My body was trembling. The nightmare had been intense and my heart wasn't slowing. The images too fresh and too vivid.

    There was a light knock on the door to the bathroom before it opened. My brother came in and rushed right over to me. I burst into tears the second I was in his arms. "Shh... It was just a nightmare." He tried to sooth me.

    "B-but you d-died again. E-everyone d-died." My words were broken with my sobs.

    He tightened his hold on me. "We're fine. See I'm here holding you." We started rocking back and forth as he tried to reassure me that no one else was dead. That even on that's supposed to be under the Mooney roof was alive and asleep in their beds.

    After a while and he knew I wasn't any better, he pulled away and looked at me. "You want to go down to the kitchen and bake something?" I nodded as I sniffled.

    We worked our way downstairs. He moved a stool into the kitchen next to one of the counters. I told him what I needed and he retrieved what I needed. He rubbed my back as I worked. I was still sniffling as I worked.

    My head laid on my brother's shoulder after he put the blueberry muffins into the over after he helped me dish them into the muffin tins. He was sitting on another stool he had pulled out from the breakfast bar. His arms around me as mine were around him.

    "When do you think the casts will come off?" My brother was trying to break the silence. I knew he wanted me to get my mind off of my nightmare.

    "The doc told me that I could get the arm one off today. I just have to go to the nurses office and get Ms. Gail to remove it." I looked at him. "We could always go during study hall."

    He gave me a wisp of a smile. "That would be one less cast. How about the leg? I know you hate needing help all the time."

    I laid my head on his shoulder. "I want to hope I could get it off tomorrow too, but it was hurt worse." Broken not just one bone, but both the lower leg bones. They had to set the bones right because my bones had moved.

    "We can always ask." I nodded and we sat there waiting for the muffins to finish.

    The second the time chimed, my brother was up and over to the oven. He took them out and showed me to which I smiled. They were done. I giggled tiredly as he removed the muffins with a flourish like he used to when we would make breakfast for our folks on their birthdays or for their anniversary. I'd make, he'd plate.

    "So..." My brother started as he turned to me. "You feel better and ready to get a little more sleep?" I nodded and we went upstairs to my room.

    On the third floor, we stopped seeing Daemon exiting my room. The second he looked up and saw us, he was sprinting over and pulling me from my brother. He arms tight around my waist and his nose buried into my hair. I think he had the dream again. He needed me to know I was still alive.

    He pulled back and cupped my cheek in his hand. The look of pain deep in his eyes, but there was relief too. "Why were you downstairs?"

    I jumped jerking my head to the door next to mine. The same door that lead to my brother's room. He had slammed it really loudly announcing how mad he was at the moment. I could feel his anger and the feeling of being alone again.

    Daemon pulled me to him and laid my head on his shoulder before his hands slipped around my waist. "I'm sorry baby. I shouldn't have pulled you away from your brother."