Nine Boys...- Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

    Looking down at my top, I worried. "Should I go change into something not so girly?" I asked looking next to me at Uncle Derek. It would be difficult to ever stop calling him that in the future. I know now that there was an expectation that Daemon and I would be together forever. There wasn't any doubt that I might not in my mind. Daemon has changed since the first moment I saw him, and for the fact he said he'd be faithful to his woman, me.

    Derek took my hands and put them down to my sides. "You look perfect. Just breathe. He's not here to critique your new outfit, but to see how you're coping with living here." I nodded as he gave my cheek a kiss.

    I found out yesterday when I got home that my lawyer was coming with my bikes and what I had requested. It was part of the legal process when dealing with an orphan which is what I was till I turned eighteen next summer. He was making the trip personally instead of sending one of his assistants as he normally did. My parents had been one of his first clients and he had been close with them. I was touched that he was doing this for them.

    Nick and Nat came down the hall as they had just ran upstairs and changed for my lawyer. They had given up today's practice to stand beside me. The nervousness I was feeling must have shown. They were so quick to go to their rooms when they saw me.

    Swallowing when I saw the vehicle turn down the drive, I gripped each of the twins hands. They covered mine with both of theirs per each of my hands. "You have us." Nick whispered to me to remind me. His free hand was petting the hand his held.

    "We're staying by your side." Nat reassured me giving my hand a light squeeze. He placed his free one over my own to help calm me.

    A smile slipped onto my face when I saw the trailer behind the SUV. My bike and my brother's bike were here now. A piece of him that I could touch. Something else to remember all the great times with him that we had.

    The SUV stopped, but my eyes never strayed from the tarp covered bikes until the doors opened. The man that slipped out of the back seat was a bit stout. His hair line receding to the point where it was just a semi-circle coming out from behind his ear and graying. His belly a bit rounder than anyone who looked after themselves. His eyebrows thick and gray shadowing his kind, aged eyes.

    My lawyer's eyes looked right at me in surprise and I blushed. "Nina? Is that you?" I looked down and nodded. He walked forward stood before me. "I would never have recognize the woman you had become in such a short time."

    I looked up to him smiling. "These wonderful people have helped me so much." Grinning more, I looked to each of the twins before smiling up at Derek. Everyone had helped me in some way, but all accepted me. I've even been baking for the fun of it and not because I was upset. I rarely get upset now-a-days thanks to everyone.

    "I would say. No longer the tomboy now are you."

    I giggled as I elbowed the twins for fun. They umphed for me with a smile. It wasn’t like we hadn’t ever played around like that. "That's still there, but with a new look. Dainty outside and strength on the inside."

    He laughed full heartedly. "A blessing I bet living with so many gentlemen." He turned to Derek and Macy who was standing next to him smiling. Her hand on Derek’s elbow looking perfect next to him. "I hope dear Nina has not been too much trouble for you." My lawyer asked knowing me well enough that I wouldn’t be.

    Derek winked at me. "There hasn't been any trouble with her. She seems to have calmed my boys and brought harmony to my home that it’s always needed."

    My lawyer, Gordon Roderick, beamed. "So she has adjusted here."

    Derek smiled brightly too. "I believe she has found her feet and standing even taller."