Prologue

~Sherlock~

I stared at his face in the newspaper headline for a while before reading the text underneath it.

'James Moriarty has, yet again, been up to no good. It's no secret that this man is a consulting criminal but he always managed to get away with whatever it was that he did. Well, now he seems to have had his last chance after he was caught choking a woman and torturing her in what looked like an abandoned warehouse. Moriarty was scheduled to be arrested immediately but he somehow ran off, disappearing from our very eyes. Nobody knows where he went and it looks like nobody ever will. However, if you do happen to see this man, please call the police at once and you will be rewarded with a £10,000 cash prize'.

I threw the newspaper to one side and thought about what I had just read. The only sickening thought that entered my mind was 'at least it wasn't me who was being tortured'. John walked in at that moment.

"You okay?" John asked, "You look bothered".

It took me a while to answer as I was deep in thought yet I still heard him.

"I'm fine", I simply replied, "I was just reading the news. Looks like Moriarty has passed his final straw. He was caught torturing an innocent woman and now he's done a runner".

John squinted at me curiously before grabbing the newspaper and speedily reading through it. He threw the newspaper back on the table triumphantly.

"Well, the good news is we certainly won't be getting bothered by Jim Moriarty ever again", John smiled.

"I wouldn't bet on that, John", I looked up at him with a knowing look, "Jim Moriarty is always back".