Chapter 3

I just wanted to say thank you to all those AWESOME people who commented and voted :)  It really means a ton to me!  LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

Oh, and sorry if there's any grammer errors! 

****RECAP****  My mind filled with unanswered questions, and I asked him "How do you know about me?  What do you train us for?  And what do you mean, "people like me"?"

He looked amused, and he stated matter-of-factly, "Sweetie, we know about you because we've been watching you for years.  We know you have superpowers, and it's our job to train you."

***********************************************************************************

I almost fell out of my chair, and I immediately started blabbering excuses, but the Boss held up his hand, silencing me.  "Nikki, I already know your secret, so why waste your breath?"

He had a point.  I shut up, and looked at him, waiting for him to explain what was going to happen to me.

"Well Nikki, as you have hopefully figured out by now, you have abilities that most people don't have."  the Boss began.  "And as I told you second ago, it's our job to train you.  You see, the government found out about people like us a LONG time ago, and they built this place so that we could teach you how to control your abilities, to use them for good."

I sat in my seat, trying to understand what he was saying.  "So.. you're training us to be superheros?"

He rolled his eyes, and said "Man, your're slow."  Tanner laughed, and I glared at him. 

The Boss ignored Tanner, but I could tell that he was trying not to chuckle.  Gosh, I have one slow moment, and they're treating me like I'm stupid!

The Boss got over his VERY obvious chuckling fit, and he finally answered my question.  "Yes, I guess you could say that we were training you to be "superheros", but the term we like to use around here is "People with Different Abilities".

I rolled my eyes.  Yeah, call it whatever crazy name you want, but it's still gonna be the same thing.  Plus, superheros way easier to say anyways!

"So what, am I going to just drop out of school?  There's people that'll know that I'm gone, and they'll track me down eventually."  I lied.  I knew for a fact that nobody was going to come after me, and apparently, so did the Boss, because he had a sympathetic look in his eyes.

"Nikki, I'm sorry, but you're a terrible liar.  We've already been through your records, remember?"  he reminded me, and I felt a pang of sadness.  Some tiny part of me had been a little excited when he'd told me that I was going to be staying here.

I would have a fresh start, with nobody knowing about my past life as an orphan.  Well, that dream didn't last long at all.

The Boss must have seen my heartbroken expression, because he assured me quickly, "Most of the people here have been raised just like you, in foster homes.  Usually, parents with special abilities, like yours, are afraid of putting their children in danger, so they put them in orphanages, hoping that some normal parent will adopt them."

I looked at him, confused.  "Why would they do that?  I mean, when their powers start showing up, they'll have no idea what to do, and neither will their adopted parents.  Isn't that just putting their child in danger even more?"

He wouldn't look me in the eyes, as he said "Powers aren't usually passed down from parent to child.  It's more of just a random thing.  It's very unusual for that to happen."

I was a little confused about why he wouldn't meet my eyes when he said that, but I brushed it off, instead asking the question that I'd been wondering ever since we'd started this conversation.