Chapter 14

Keep voting for your favorite cover!!!  I haven't decided when the voting stops yet, so vote while you can!! PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE? oh and you can vote for 5 different covers each!

***************************************************************************************************

Nikki's P.O.V.

I flopped down onto my bed, completely worn out.  My Defensive Strategies had made me punch a punching bag for the whole class period, to "build my upper body strength."

I pulled my warm blanket around me, and I sighed happily as my eyes shut.  I'd never been so happy to be able to sleep.

Of course, all good things never, EVER end, so about thirty seconds later I heard the sound of the door opening.

Figuring it was just Rosie, I didn't move.  The sound of heavy footsteps filled my ears, and instantly I knew something was wrong.  Rosie was the tiniest girl I'd ever met- her footsteps defiantly wern't heavy.

My eyes snapped open, and I found myself face to face with Tanner.

I screamed in shock and fell off the bed.  What was he doing here?????

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE???"  I hollered.  He shrugged, like it should be obvious.  "We have to work on the Mary Rosewell case."

Dangit!  I knew I'd forgotten something!  Was it too much to ask for just five minutes of sleep?

I didn't know what to say, because I really didn't want to admit that I'd completely forgotten that we were supposed to be working on the case again, so I blabbered out the first thing that popped into my head-

"Couldn't you have knocked?  You almost gave me a heart attack!"

Tanner chuckled like he thought it was funny, and I glared at him.  "I did knock, I guess you just didn't here it."  he explained finally.  "You left the door unlocked, by the way, so I just walked in."

Well that did make sense, I had been pretty worn out, I probably wouldn't have noticed when he knocked, and it was true, the door was unlocked.

I'd always made a point to lock the door to my dorm here before, because Rosie had told me to never be too careful around here, but lately we couldn't.  Turns out, on my second day here when I fell against the door, I'd ended up breaking the lock, so right now we couldn't use it until the janitor had time to fix it.

Groaning, I pulled myself out of the covers.  I really wasn't in a mood to be working on the case right now, and I guess Tanner could tell, because he didn't have a single sarcastic comment to say as we walked towards the library.

It was nearly empty, seeing as it was already 10:00, and instead of the regular sounds of my classmates giggling and whispering behind the bookcases, it was quiet.

Tanner his laptop out of it's carrier, and sat it down on the table.  I drummed my fingers on the table silently while he pulled up the CIA's website, and started hacking into it again.

That was the sad thing about hacking the CIA- you had to do it every single time you pulled it up.  It didn't save your hacking or anything, Tanner had to do it ALL over again, every time!  What a rip off!

As usual, once Tanner finished hacking, he handed the computer over to me.  That was the way our system worked- Tanner hacked, I found out the information on the page.

I scrolled down, seeing all the usual stuff.  I groaned, it looked like the CIA hadn't gotten a single new lead, and we were still stuck on square one on the case.

I was about to shut the laptop down so that I could finally go back to my room and get some sleep, when something caught my eye in the corner of the screen.