Chapter 55

Hey again :)  I'm so sorry it's been so long :'(  I'm in boxing and I've been training every day, and I barely even had time to write this chapter!  Wow, I can't believe this is the last chapter.... thanks so much for sticking with me through the book!  I know I have really long upload times, and the chapters can be pretty short, not to mention my killer cliffhangers, so thank you so much for everyone who stuck with me through the book!  I'm not sure if there's going to be a sequel, but I think I'm going to write another book before I write a sequel to this one.. any ideas what it should be about?  I'll try to send out a message to you guys when I start writing the new book so that hopefully you'll read that one too :) Authors for reccomending are jayden101, MarcusWagner, Liv4evah, starnetta, auther74583, EamonnTee, InnerBeautyShinesi, and Britt3445. Anyways, thank you for being the best fans EVER!  I love all of you sooooooooooo much! :')

Recap

Everything made sense now.  Tanner had only been the traitor to save his mom!  I felt like a large weight had been taken off my shoulders.  "Let's go see him!"  I begged.  The Boss looked unsure, but he finaly have in and nodded.

"Fine, it's about time we got all this sorted out."  He grumbled.

*************************************************************************************************************

There were so many different emotions swirling through my brain as we walked towards the jail cells that I could hardly think straight.  Until that moment, I hadn't realized how important it was to me that Tanner had a good reason about betraying the school.  Now that I did, I felt like I could finally breathe again.

Our footsteps echoed off the cold stone walls as we made our way down the stairs, and I could feel my arms trembling.  How long had it been since me and Tanner had actually had a proper conversation?  Without one of us being held prisoner, I mean.

So much had happened, what if things were awkward between us?  Now that I knew the secret about his parents, could things still be the same?  I didn't have much time to ponder this though, because by then we had already arrived at the cell.  I felt Naomi tense beside me at the sight of her son behind bars, and I knew she was thinking of all those years she'd been held captive.

My breath caught in my throat when I saw him.  He was slouched in a corner on the floor, his head in his arms, but when he heard us coming his head snapped up.  Dirt covered his cheeks, and his hair was stuck up in odd angles, but his dark eyes seemed to have gained back their old spark.

Tanner stood up awkwardly, running his hands through his hair.  I new he was uncomfortable having us all look at him while he stood in the cell.  He caught my eye, and I shot him a small smile.  He grinned back, his whole face lighting up with the smile.  "I'm glad you're okay."  He murmured.

I nodded, glad that he was okay too.  We stood there for a moment, looking at eachother with goofy grins plastered on our faces, until the Boss coughed and snapped us back to reality.

"Tanner, Naomi has told us a pretty interesting story."  He began, trying to make his voice sound commanding, but I could tell he was relieved that Tanner was okay.  "Is it true that you are her son?"

The room filled with silence.  Tanners eyes widened in surprise.  His gaze landed on me again, and the seconds dragged on before slowly he nodded.  Naomi and the Boss both breathed sighs of relief, and I felt a smile growing on my face.  Tanner, on the other hand, just stared at the ground.

"Well now that all that's taken care of, I think it's safe to say that you won't need to be in here any longer-"  The Boss announced cheerfully, but Tanner cut him off, his voice firm.