Chapter 50

Okay people, I have an important message here!  As some of you have probably already figured out, the book is close to over.  Don't worry, this isn't the last chapter, and neither is the next one, but THE END IS NEAR!  I'm going to try to edit it and publish it on kindle for $ .99.  I don't really know how well it's going to work out, but I thought I'd give it a try, because I'm trying to save up for a car.  I just wanted to know, how many of you guys would think about buying it?  It's really cheap and all, and I would appreciate it a ton, but don't sweat it if you don't want to.  Anyways, when I put the book up for sale, I'm gonna take part of it off wattpad so that people will want to buy it to read more.  DON'T worry though, because I'm still going to put the ending on here for allof you!

Sorry, that was probably a lot to read!  Thanks if you take the time to read all of my annoying authors notes!  Anyways, the authors for reccomending are CrazyGirl17 and MaijalaHarrelson.  Here's the chapter!

RECAP

It was about nine o'clock before I gave up falling asleep completely, and making up my mind, I opened the door and slipped out of the room.
*******************************************************************************************

I didn't see many people in the hallways as I made my way downstairs, only guards, which I thought was a little strange.  Even on school nights, most of the students didn't even return to their dorms until ten.  Pushing the thought out of my head, I focused on keeping my footsteps muffled and my breathing quiet.

Even though I hadn't technically done anything wrong yet, it would still be hard to explain what I was doing creeping around in the halls at night.  I was almost to the end of the dorm hallway when something completely unexpected happened.  Every single light in the hall shut off.  I stumbled and held my breath, sure that our enemies had finally found us and were attacking.

That's when I saw the tiny red light at the end of the hall, the only source of brightness in the now dark space.  I squinted, trying to get a better look as the light grew bigger and bigger, illuminating the hallway.  It was moving back and forth, almost as if it were....scanning.

The realization hit me like a brick wall, and right before the light hit me I jumped back and pressed myself completely against the wall.  Now that the room was a little brighter, I could barely make out the school's symbol implanted on the machine, which was still searching the hallway.

I wanted to get some reassurance from the fact that the school was going to such measures to protect us, but I couldn't help feel a bit uneasy.  Why hadn't they let us know about the scanning machines before?  Did they think it would scare us or something?  Could they be hiding anything else from us?

I didn't know what to think anymore, but I knew that if I got caught snooping around, things were not going to end well.  With this thought in my head, I pressed myself even closer to the wall, until I was practically glued against it.

Finally satisfied that there was no one there, the machine turned off the red light, leaving me standing in the darkness.  I could hear the rolling of wheels as it drove off in the other direction, but I didn't move from my place on the wall.  Only when the lights switched back on did I finally feel safe enough to continue my journey down the hallway.

I didn't see another scanning machine the whole way there.  Nobody jumped out and asked me what I was doing.  I didn't even see too many cameras.  Still, I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was being watched.  When I finally reached the door that Tanner was being kept, I reached out for the handle, my hand hovering over it.

Now that I was here, I wasn't sure what to do.  Back in my room it had seemed like the perfect choice, the only decision that made sense.  Was I really going to betray the school like that?  Turn my back on the only place I'd ever called home, just because a few of them beat up Tanner?

What was I even going to do, once I got in there?  Was I going to just try to talk to Tanner, or was I going to go all out and help him escape?  I didn't even know myself.  I was about to turn around and leave, when I stopped short.  I couldn't forget the look in Agent Baxter's eyes when she'd opened the door after Tanner had told me what they did to him.  The suspicious, evaluating look she had given me.

She didn't care about Tanner, or what happened to him.  She was worried that she would get caught.  In that moment, I realized that by going into that room, I wasn't betraying the school, I was doing what was right.

Before I could talk myself out of it, I grabbed the handle and opened the door.

Knowing that I didn't have much time, I hurried into the dark room.  "Tanner?"  I whispered loudly, reaching around for him.  Not seeing him anywhere, I turned around to flip on the light switch...

And found myself face to face with Agent Baxter.  I felt my heart stop in my chest, and I gaped at her in horror as a sickly sweet smile formed on her face.  My mouth opened and closed, trying to form words to explain myself, but nothing came out.

Agent Baxter watched me in amusement, shaking her head.  "Oh Nicole, I am so disappointed in you."

My moment of shock was over, and I stood up to my full height and glared at her.  "You're disappointed in me?  I'm not the one who beats up teenagers to get information!  That's illegal!  This is a school, not the mafia!"  Oops, so much for her not knowing that I knew about that.

This seemed to amuse her even more.  "Welcome to the real world, Nicole, where life is a lot harder and bad guys are a whole lot tougher.  I'm not ashamed of what I did- I merely did what was required to get the infornmation needed.  Besides, do you really think that Tanner's own father would think twice about doing what I did?"

I didn't have a response to that, because I knew that it was true.  Tanner's dad would probably do a whole lot worse than that if he thought someone was hiding information from him.  Still, it wasn't the same.  Agent Baxter was supposed to be on our side, and Tanner hadn't done anything wrong besides being a traitor.

Using all of my courage, I put on my most confident smile.  Whatever happened, I had to keep the upper hand here.  "Oh, I understand completely.  How about we have a little chat with Ms. Middlebrooks, and you can explain to her all the reasons why what you did is right."

What I said was meant to intimedate her, but she just brushed it off with a careless smile.  In a cheerful voice, she announced, "Oh, I don't think that will be nessicary dear.  You see, you're going to be staying here for a while as I sort things out."

I realized what she was saying a little too late, and she had already reached the door.  "Wait!"  I shouted, as scampered towards the exit.  "You won't get away with this!  People will wonder where I am, and then you'll get caught!  Why don't we just sort this out!"

She brushed all my questions away with a wave of her hand.  "I already have it covered."  She started to swing the door shut, and trying to stall her I yelled, "Wait!  Aren't you at least going to give me food and water?"  Last time I had gotten kidnapped, I had to go without food and water for way too long for my liking, and I sure wasn't going through that again.

She flashed me one last wicked smile, and her eyes gleamed evilly.  "Why, of course Nicole!  Only the best for my favorite daughter."