The Last Day

<Rick grimes>

"Damn, Blondie knows how to leave on a high note!" Merle laughed after Amy stormed away with her kids.

Rick felt a headache at Amy's abrupt departure. He couldn't believe it, later he would sit down with his son and get the full story. It wasn't possible that he stole a gun three times and only knew about once. It was the only thing he and Lori agreed on, that Carl needed to be protected at all costs. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he watched as his wife sent their boy upstairs with the other children.

"I agree with her, Rick." Miranda stood up, walking over to Hector, obviously anxious to get back to camp. "We don't want either of them here. We were all in agreement last week when you decided Wendy was your responsibility. Kill them or toss them away. Either way they're not staying."

Rick was absolutely floored when Eliza and Louis rushed down the stairs with the three youngest children crying. He didn't have time to understand the rapid conversion in Spanish but he did hear Carl's name. Miranda glared at him pointedly before storming out with Hector picking up Andre and Braden.

"Oh, we can just cast our vote?" Jean asked. "Three votes for kill. There were a couple guys at the refugee center who couldn't take no for an answer and the soldiers took care of them. We all learned early to kill the monsters."

"Two votes for execution. Mark and Dewey." The soldiers shared a look and a nod in agreement before turning on their heels and marching for the door. A few more people rose from their seats but Rick held his hands up quickly. This was getting out of hand, fast.

"That wasn't the point of this meeting." Rick interrupted them, his tone soothing. He knew he needed to form bonds or at least build an understanding with these people. They had to see him and trust him. "I just needed to make sure I won't be making a mistake by listening to your thoughts on this first."

"Okay." Mary stood up clearing her throat. "I don' feel comfortable having a sexual predator in our camp, let alone two. When we left our home it was because we had holes in the fence and the water was contaminated but I never had to worry about my children being abused. So, our vote will be execution."

"Think o f the message you are sending your children!" Dale stood up as well before the rest of the Browns could rise to leave. "We need to stand together and help these people get on the right path. Redemption, they did bad things because they had no choice. If Duke or Daisy ever made a mistake would you push for such a final solution."

"I don't think you are trying to compare my son a rapist or my daughter a whore, are you Dale?" Mick's deep voice dripped in menace when he stood above his wife with a scowl.

"Of course not but they are young..." Dale quickly tried to explain, only getting a harsher glare in return. "These young people have their entire lives in front of them. It is not up to us to decide their fate. We should be showing them what it means to live in this hell. Show them that they don't have to be those people anymore."

"My wife's vote stands." Mitch did not look moved, instead looked to Rick with grim acceptance. "I have watch and Mary is helping Ana make dinner, so you'll have to excuse us."

"I would have liked you all to stay if you could." Rick tried to step in their way but the family was undeterred. "You know you can come to me, I wou.."

"Well, I know right now it's just Glenn and I..." Dale trailed off, turning from the Brown's retreating backs to the asian man but he looked away. "They've got you scared."

"Look I believe you're right most of the time..."

"Man aint been right since the world up and ended, Chinaman!" Merle growled, looking around at all the conflicted faces. "I done tol' y'all last week disposin' them pieces o' shit aint a problem! Now show of hands!"