Like a Cat

<Specialist Anthony Mark>

Tony could not believe their luck when they noticed the large group raiding their former outpost. It had been weeks, maybe even months since the fire and their once large group had been whittled down to five. His superior officers that had not died trying to evacuate the civilians had abandoned their posts, the scared people he had been trying to protect had run. It wasn't as if he had the authority to stop them but he had managed to keep some of the supplies and protect who let him.

Just two weeks ago the last of his brothers left on a suicide mission with every able bodied man beside himself, john, and a less than half dozen refugees. They never returned, not that he had much hope they would. He and John spoke of maybe heading to Atlanta but they lost contact with anyone over a month ago, even Benning was silent. Now, they may have found some kind of salvation.

It didn't take long to convince John and the others that they should approach the other group, they were organized and their women seemed to be treated equally. Tony noticed right away how his brother watched the blonde leader, she was a calm influence in the middle of the storm. Pretty, even by old world standards but he wasn't about to think about such things until John, Jean, Sam, and Ana were safe.

Patricia, an older woman with a pained grimace on her face, fed them and checked them over, even wrapped up Ana's ankle. She was kind but wary, constantly searching the faces of the dead at the gate leading to the football field. He silenced Sam when he looked like he wanted to ask questions. It was important they not offend anyone, especially someone with medical knowledge who was obviously grieving.

"So, where do you plan to settle?" Jean asked curiously once they were loaded up with their supplies, still surprised at how easily Amy let them come. John was stoic beside him, only turning to stare down Sam when he opened his mouth.

"We've got a plan." Mitch muttered from the driver's seat, glancing at him suspiciously through the rearview mirror. "You sure you ain't seen any more people in town?"

"Well, we've seen a couple of trucks breeze by us but we were still trying to raise the military at the time." Tony said honestly, his gaze focused on the beautiful house surrounded by endless fields.

On top of the hill was a large congregation of vehicles, with long tables and chairs set up. The group was quick to exit their vehicles before a group of children came rushing forward. John at his side made a strange, strangled sound in his throat and turned to him curiously. The other man was staring hungrily at the leader like he had never seen something quite like her before. His friend was a big believer in karma, always talking about how he knew that if he did right, the world would do right by him. He had some weird ideas about soulmates, something about him knowing just by a look that he would know. Tony really hoped that John didn't do something stupid because by the looks of it, the guy with the crossbow saw his friend's reaction.

"C'mon, Edwin, come see your newest patients." Amy said with a strained smile, a tall blond man stood just behind her. His eyes were a cold, clear blue that looked them over clinically before taking in Ana leaning against Sam. He didn't soften but he did wave them towards his medical trailer.

He stayed by the window, a small smile on his face thinking that just maybe they could make this work.

"So, you can call me Uncle Sam." Sam was very energetic after only having one meal in the last few days. Miranda had already heated up some soup for them, Edwin warning that they would need small portions until they got used to eating regularly. "This is your new Aunt Ana, I know she's beautiful, I'm a very lucky man."