7.4 All Quiet on the Western Front

The world leaders of the United Nations all met up in Vienna to ratify the Sokovia Accords. With it, many of them felt like they were one step closer to peace. And thanks to Ross' Thunderbolts, they felt confident in the protection of Earth's governments.

The various members of the Thunderbolts were all scattered around the facility. U.S. Agent was close to the entrance with Taskmaster, guarding the front doors as people entered. The Red Guardian was trying to give away some autographs to the world leaders and saluting them. Ghost was monitoring the halls, making sure no one was sneaking off where they shouldn't be. Happy Hogan meanwhile was talking with some of the security guards, making sure the room was secure.

As the last of the UN leaders went inside, the doors shut and they began their meeting. Taskmaster and Agent were about to walk in when Peggy Carter and Natasha Romanoff approached them. Nat kept her distance from Taskmaster while the two tried to talk to Walker.

Walker: Hello, Captain.

Peggy: Hello, Agent.

Walker gave her a friendly smile and offered his hand. Peggy took it, squeezing it slightly.

Walker: Now, I'm afraid we can't let you ladies in.

Natasha: We know.

Peggy: We actually wanted to talk to you.

Natasha: Alone.

She eyed Taskmaster. Walker understood what she meant.

Walker: Anything you tell me, my colleague can hear. 

Peggy: If it's all the same. We've already gotten off on the wrong foot with your colleague. And this matter concerns just us. Three agents who want to make the world safer.

Walker thought for a moment. He knew there was no point in arguing with Captain Carter. He stepped to the side as the two women followed him.

Walker: If this is about the Avengers...

Peggy: We are not against replacements. Whatever makes the world safer, we'll take it.

Natasha: It's about you, actually.

Walker: What about me?

Peggy: What are your qualifications? What have you been through?

Walker thought for a moment before replying.

Walker: Three tours in Afghanistan. Two in Korea. Special Forces training and over twenty shootouts. 

Peggy: I see. You are quite a skilled soldier.

Walker: Thank you, ma'am. 

Peggy: We'd like to speak to the Secretary of State, if you will allow us.

Walker looked at them with a slight grin.

Walker: I don't think I can allow that, Captain.

Peggy: I wasn't asking. I am still a captain, and thus still rank higher than you.

Walker's smile faded. He lightly grinned between his lips as he looked at her.

Walker: Alright. Follow me.

Inside the building, Alexei walked through the halls. Above him, Yelena jumped down from the vents and landed quietly behind him. She walked up to him and tapped him on the shoulder. Alexei spun around and jumped back upon seeing who it was.