5.9 The Vision

At Avengers HQ, Y/N and Natasha had finished moving in the Cradle. Steve was downstairs in his mobility suit. Peter and Hank walked in to try and break down the body inside. Hank was comforting Y/N who partially blamed himself for Yelena's abduction.

Hank: I'm sure she's still alive. Otherwise Ultron would be rubbing our faces in it.

Y/N: Yeah. I guess you're right.

He turned towards Nat. 

Y/N: Any chance she might try and send some kind of message outside the internet? Old-school spy stuff you guys may have known.

Natasha: Only one way to find out.

Y/N followed her downstairs and the two began looking at old techniques the sisters knew from their days in the Red Room. Peter walked over to the Cradle and examined it. Hank was thinking about something. Something he recently discovered.

Peter: I can work on tissue degeneration if you could fry whatever operational system Cho implanted.

Hank looked at the kid and sighed. 

Hank: About that...

Peter looked at him. He had an idea of what Pym was thinking.

Peter: Hank...

Hank: Just hear me out for a second. I found our ally. The one protecting the military's nuclear codes. 

He pulled up an image on a monitor. Parker looked at what he pulled up. It was some system called J.O.C.A.S.T.A.

Peter: What... What is this?

Hank: This is the system I had originally put in place to keep Ultron at bay. I assumed Ultron had overpowered it and broke free. I was only partially right. It appears that the data inputted from the gem expanded its capabilities alongside Ultron. Ultron was still too strong for it, so it decided on stopping him by a different means. It went underground and protected the nuclear codes as well as putting up a firewall of its own on Rogers' suit and the Stomper. That's why Ultron needed the Maximoffs. He couldn't get a hold of our biggest guns himself. 

Peter looked at the screen. He got an idea of what Hank was getting at and rubbed his hands through his hair.

Peter: Let me guess. You want to try and put this thing into this body?

Hank sighed and looked at the teen.

Hank: We need this.

Peter: No we do not. You remember the last time this happened?

Hank: Last time was an accident. This time, we're in control. 

Peter: You can't control organic life, Hank. That's just not how that works.

Hank exhaled and looked down.

Hank: I know I can't, but we need this. Ultron is already more powerful than any of us. But this thing... J.O.C.A.S.T.A. is different. Ultron is too focused on destruction. But this system has already proven that it knows how to protect us. It knows how to defend itself and the human race from utter destruction.

Peter: Hank, I'm not so sure about this.

Hank walked over to him and put his hand on the kid's shoulder.

Hank: Pete, we need to do this. We can't stand on our own. 

Hank looked almost desperate at he looked at Parker.

Hank: Please, let me fix this. For once, let me do something right.

Peter looked at Hank and then back at the Cradle. He was weighing his decisions.