7.1 Trouble in Lagos

Date: June 21, 2016 

Pietro Maximoff was sitting at a cafe drinking a bottle of water. He was wearing a denim jacket and brown baseball cap. He looked around the cafe and the police station across from it while drinking his water. Peggy Carter spoke to him through his earpiece.

Peggy: Alright, what do you see?

Pietro: Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target.

Captain Carter stood in a hotel room across from the police station. She looked down at the building through the window in her room.

Peggy: There's an ATM on the south corner, which means?

Pietro: Cameras.

Peggy: Both cross streets are one-way.

Pietro: So, compromised escape routes.

Peggy: Means our guy doesn't care about being seen. He isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?

Pietro: Yeah, the red one? It's cute. A little slow.

Natasha: It's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us.

The Black Widow was sitting at another table in the cafe across from Pietro. She was drinking a cup of coffee while wearing tinted shades and a cream beige jacket.

Pietro: You guys know I can disarm them before they even blink, right?

Natasha: Moving too early will compromise our position. Meaning our man chooses the more radical route. Also, looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature.

Sam Wilson walked across the roof of the building Peggy was in. He crouched down to get a look over the small street corner.

Sam: Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?

Natasha: Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?

Peggy: Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him.

Sam: (scoffs) If he sees us coming, that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us.

The Avengers had been busy tracking down Brock Rumlow, a former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who was sent on undercover missions to fulfill his higher ups' contracts. After S.H.I.E.L.D. collapsed, he had gone on the run, deemed dangerous and wanted for several war crimes he committed. Within the past few months he had resurfaced and began robbing police stations for their weapons and tactical gear, going under the nickname "Crossbones." The Avengers had managed to track him down to Lagos, Nigeria. They had spent the past three days on the lookout for him.

Peggy looked out the window and saw a garbage truck driving down the street. Citizens were yelling and getting mad at the driver as the truck pushed past other vehicles.

Peggy: Sam, see that garbage truck? Tag it. 

Pressing a button on his gauntlet, Sam released a small drone from his back. The drone quickly and quietly flew low to the ground and under the truck. Sam looked at the screen on his gauntlet as the drone's x-ray camera scanned the inside of the vehicle.

 Sam looked at the screen on his gauntlet as the drone's x-ray camera scanned the inside of the vehicle