6.5 Fearful Family

Y/N, Yelena, Raz, Hank, and Bill were all sitting in one of the lab's lounge rooms. Foster had moved the building to the middle of the forest where nobody could find them. Y/N was drinking a warm cup of tea, trying to steady his still frightened mind. The others just sat there, letting what he told them sink in.

Belova had also filled them all in from where she'd been. She had been assigned to investigate A.I.M. by Nick Fury. Apparently, he'd gotten intel about some weapons of interest coming out from there. She had been investigating them when she learned of Y/N's abduction. One thing led to another and she found him being held captive at one of the A.I.M. facilities.

The others were all still thinking. This was something Hank had been trying to avoid for decades and one of the reasons he'd hired Y/N. Now, they were up against a foe who could potentially outdo them all. Foster was trying to comfort Y/N and get him to talk a bit more about what he saw.

Bill: So, this MODOK guy is using quantum energy to power weapons? 

Y/N: Not just weapons. Instruments of torture, mayhem, and destruction. It's not as simple as a gun or explosive. He's using it in any way he can.

Hank thought for a moment before turning to Y/N.

Y/N: What about Darren?

Y/N: He's back all right. They pulled him out to use as their lapdog. 

Hank thought again before commenting on an idea he was having.

Hank: I wonder...

Y/N: What?

Hank: If he managed to pull Darren out, it might be possible to pull others out.

Y/N: Hank...

Bill: You mean Janet and Hope?

Hank: If we can find their exact location, we might be able to bring them back. Bring them home.

Bill: Hank, I'm not sure about that. Listen, I'd love to try and bring them back too. I really would. But this is all too risky. We don't even know what they've been through down there.

Hank: Oh, come on Bill. This could be our chance. We've got to try it, right?

Y/N: No.

The others turned and looked at Y/N. They did not expect him to say that. Y/N, the optimist, just said no to his mentor's idea. He looked at Hank with saddened eyes.

Y/N: Hank, I would also love to help you be with your family again. To bring them back. But seeing Darren... It changed him. Not just physically, but mentally as well. I fear that if we were to try and pull them out... They may not be the same as when they went in. 

Hank: Y/N, we've got to at least try. You would do anything for your family. Help me fix mine. Now, it may be too dangerous to extract them, but if we could send someone-

Y/N: No!

The young man stood up and slammed his fist on the table. Everyone was shocked by his sudden outburst. They all just looked at him.

Y/N: Hank, I'm sorry, but no one is going down there. We are destroying that infertile machine and that's final. No one else is going to be lost on my part!

He stopped while the others looked at him. He was fighting to hold back tears. They could all tell by the look on his face that he was frightened. Y/N turned and left the room. The others stood there, speechless.

After a moment, Yelena left the room to find him. She searched the different rooms before finding Y/N in what looked to be a guest bedroom. He had the covers pulled up over his legs. He was sitting with his knees curled up to his chest. His head was buried in his lap as he rocked back and forth.