3.6 The Lion's Den

The quinjets landed on the landing platform and unloaded their prisoners. Alexei was the only one taken to a secure cell. Yelena was taken down to a surgical room. Natasha was taken to Taskmaster's office. The leader of the New Red Room wanted to speak to her personally.

Natasha was just starting to come to while being dragged through the hallway. Her vision was at first blurry. She could make out white and gray hallways. Glass doors lined the halls. Looking through one of them, she saw a group of Widow assassins training. 

Natasha's vision and movement had fully returned by the time they reached Taskmaster's office. The room had a desk and a large screen, but apart from that, it looked more like a dojo than an office. Taskmaster motioned to their guards to leave them with Romanoff.

The guards left the room, shutting the door and sealing it shut with a deadbolt lock. Natasha was stuck with the head assassin. She looked at them closely, trying to see if she could make out any facial or bodily structures behind the armor. 

Natasha: Not a smart move, leaving me here with you unguarded. 

Taskmaster: You think I fear you? I know all of your moves as well as those of your friends. If anyone is going to die in this room, it will be you. 

Their voice was heavily modified with a modulator, making it difficult to determine the person inside.

Natasha: I suspect you didn't bring me in here just to kill me.

Taskmaster: As much as I would like to, this is more personal than that. 

Taskmaster stood up tall and walked around Natasha.

Taskmaster: I must commend your skills, Ms. Romanoff. Not only did you manage to escape the Red Room, but you became something else. An Avenger. Then again, I guess you never truly escaped, did you?

Natasha looked at them, knowing they were referring to S.H.I.E.L.D. 

Taskmaster: After your escape, General Dreykov had to make sure no one else would get out. So, he commissioned Melina to initiate her little pet project. It has proven to be quite effective, I must say.

Natasha: Mind control.

Taskmaster: Precisely. An army of efficient assassins all under my control. And now... now I can add you to my roster. Imagine what I could do with an Avenger under my control. 

Natasha: And Yelena? What of her? She got out as well.

Taskmaster: A slight oversight. It appears not everyone was onboard with the project. But she'll make a nice specimen. She'll de dissected to find the root of the problem.

Down in the surgery room, Yelena was laid down on a stretcher. She was held back by several straps covering her body. A surgeon came over and drew an incision line over her forehead using a black marker. They were going to dissect her brain and find out what the antidote had done to her.

 They were going to dissect her brain and find out what the antidote had done to her