2.8. Running Away With It

Four U-20 players led the attack, the three forwards alongside Sae Itoshi. Niko watched each of them. Two were running diagonally out to each wing, with the genius midfielder and one other forcing their way straight down the centre. Karasu and Rin were already in the area, slowing them down.

Besides them, it was just him and Aryu. The taller boy went to the right, tracking one of the enemy forwards. He flung a hand out. "Keep vigilant! Niko boy, we must hold the line!"

Niko would've rolled his eyes if it didn't mean taking his gaze off the enemy. What does he think I'm gonna do, let them pass? He yelled a 'yessir' in response nonetheless, backpedalling slightly.

I just need to detect them. Find out who is linking up with Sae, and prevent it. He ignored Sae, who was running straight for Karasu, and turned his eyes to the rest. One player was being marked by Aryu, and any low balls could be intercepted by Rin. A second was also near Rin, the tall boy placing himself in a great position.

So that just left one forward, making a break past him down the left side. Niko instinctively moved to block off the pass. It was high and smooth, going straight to where the forward would be. Just like last time, it was the U-20 ace, Sendou.

Wait... Niko slowed. That pass has a huge backspin. If I run out to try and stop it, there's no way I'm getting there before Sendou, and by drawing me out, our defensive line crumbles. I can't afford to fully commit.

Eyes laser-focused onto the ball, Niko stopped moving just a few metres in front of Sendou. The ace trapped the ball, eyes widening slightly as he realised Niko hadn't fallen for the trap. He attempted to backpedal, losing all his momentum and speed in the process as the ball bounced upwards slightly.

Wait, this guy is... kind of bad. Um. Niko'd seen better traps, much much better. From what he'd seen on video recordings, half the Bluelock players had better stats than that guy. They moved faster, were stronger, and Niko couldn't help but compare Sendou's trap to Nagi's. Obviously, Nagi's was better.

He rushed forwards as the ace tried to slowly move backwards. With the ball still midair, Niko jumped up, booting the ball as hard as he could. He didn't aim - just getting it away from their goal was good enough.

Karasu was already running for the ball, intercepting it before any of the U-20 midfielders could pick it up. His lips pressed into a thin line as he began to move down the right flank.

For the last three weeks, he'd dedicated literally all of his time watching the U-20 team's previous matches. He'd looked at flaws, strengths, and how they worked, and for this match, it seemed that they'd changed absolutely fuck all.

First, they attempted to stop whoever they were playing against, using their Iron Wall Quartet. Each defender watched over their designated zone, with the ninja-like guy on the left, the speedster on the right, and the power-type defender in the middle. Aryu floated around wherever he was needed.

Second, two midfielders pressed the ball, forcing the opponent to either commit more people to the attack, or risk giving up possession. No matter what they did, either through the presses or through their strong defence, the U-20 normally managed to get control of the ball.

And third, their last midfielder would take the ball, launching a lightning fast counter attack against the enemy with their three forwards. This part of their game plan was much stronger than he'd seen before, with Sae Itoshi basically being able to control the entire game right from the centre of the field.

There were no weak spots - so Karasu would just have to make his own.

He kicked the ball straight forwards. "Go, Otoya!"