18. Isagi, Lord of Cringe

"Our last match is against Team V, the strongest team in Building Five. They've yet to lose a match."

Team Z walked down the corridor towards the cafeteria. The changing room after the game had been a mix of emotions. Relief, at the fact they weren't out yet. Hatred, as they stared at the spot where Kuon would have sat. And fear, knowing who they had to play against for their last game.

Raichi replied, hunched over with his hands in his pockets as they walked as a group. "I don't care who they are. All we have to do is win."

Y/N walked at the back of the group with Bachira, the two giggling away as they messed around with each other. Nobody tried to stop them this time - Y/N had actually done something in the last game, keeping possession of the ball, which was more than he'd done in the other games.

They quietly chattered to each other, a low constant hum of noise in the background of Team Z's footsteps.

"Still, it's going to be nearly impossible with only 10 players." Iemon sighed.

"That's true." That was Naruhaya, hands behind his head as he walked next to Gagamaru.

They paused outside of the cafeteria's doors. Iemon held a finger to his lips, shushing the entire team. Bachira and Y/N didn't stop talking though, and it took a slap from Raichi for the two boys to realise what was happening.

Iemon pointed silently around the corner. The cafeteria was oddly empty, even though it was beginning to become dinnertime. Inside, the familiar voice of Kuon was yammering away.

"Okay? I'll give you important information about Team Z. You can stop them from scoring!" Kuon sounded like he was forcing an upbeat tone, but the pathetic desperation in his voice was evident. "That way, I can advance as the team's top scorer!"

Raichi growled. "He's making deals again..."

When no response came, Kuon continued. "If I do, I promise I'll give you an advantage in the second selection. I can sabotage, or give you assists! So, what do you think? Want to work with me?"

Everyone was progressively slowly creeping towards the entrance of the cafeteria, straining to hear more of the conversation. Iemon was holding them back, as finally, the people Kuon was talking to responded.

"Sounds like a bother..." It was a boy's voice, quiet and drowsy.

Y/N gasped with excitement, and before anybody could stop him, he was tearing around the corner with a huge smile on his face.

"Y/N, wait!" Iemon tried to grab his arm, but Y/N brushed him off, laughing happily as he went into the cafeteria. He always acted like an immature little kid, and it was even more obvious as he seemed to have no idea of this thing called 'subtlety'.

Y/N instantly spotted Nagi and Reo, as well as a black-haired boy sitting next to them with fancy glasses on. They were indeed talking with Kuon, alone at a table.

Nagi had his chin on the table's edge, hunched over with his arms splayed out. As usual, his eyes were closed, and he looked like he was falling asleep even as he held a fork with a piece of steak in front of him. His plate was still sizzling away, full of steak and veggies that made Y/N's mouth water.

The black-haired boy had his arms crossed, sitting up straight with an empty steak plate in front of him. As for Reo, he had both feet on the table, reclining into the chair as one of his hands gently ran through Nagi's mess of white hair.

All four players looked with surprise over at him, Reo's face lighting up as Nagi blearily opened his eyes. Y/N ran straight for their table, a high, sweet laugh coming from his lips as he hit Reo with a hug.

Reo chuckled, embracing Y/N as he let go of Nagi's hair for a second. "Hey, Y/N!"

"Hiii..." All the semi-seriousness from the Team W game had disappeared, replaced by the usual cheerful boy that most people knew.

"How've you been?" Reo kept the small boy close to him. He ignored the fact that Team Z was all funnelling into the cafeteria, speaking in Y/N's ear. "Your games going well?"

Y/N was like a cat, curling up into Reo as a huge smile formed on his face. "We just drew against Team W. So, we're going to beat you, and move on as Building Five's second team!"

Reo laughed, soothingly running his hands down Y/N's back. "We'll see about that, won't we Nagi?"

"Hmm...?" Nagi looked across, placing down his fork as he spotted Y/N. "What...?"

Y/N looked over at Nagi, grinning. He withdrew from Reo, patting Nagi a few times on the head. "Hi!"

"Hey..." The white-haired boy tried to pull Y/N in for a hug as well, but Y/N just skipped out of the way, remembering Nagi holding him hostage for a good hour last time.

"How's the steak?" Y/N remembered how good it was from last time, eating with Barou.

"Eh." Nagi sighed at the lack of a hug, looking tiredly at his food. "It's chewy."

"Is it good?"

"Eating it is a hassle..."

Y/N's face brightened, and he shuffled a bit closer to the food. "Can I have it then?"

Before he could get an answer, the rest of Team Z was standing in front of the table. Isagi extended a finger, saying probably one of the most cringe lines Y/N had ever heard.

"Don't underestimate soccer!"

Everyone went silent, Team Z probably wondering what the hell Isagi was smoking. Reo and Nagi looked up with matching expressions of confusion, and the black-haired guy next to them just scratched his head.

Kuon seemed scared of Team Z, standing up and backing away from them. Y/N burst out laughing, uncontrollably shaking as he mimicked Isagi's pose.

"What the hell does that mean?!"

Reo raised an eyebrow at the blue-haired boy. "Who are you?"

"I'm Team Z's Isagi Yoichi." He proclaimed. "I'm the one who'll defeat you."

After that banger of a line, everyone just kind of stood there awkwardly. Team Z was all standing with Isagi, except Y/N and Kuon who were both with the Team V players.

"Sooo..." Y/N broke the silence. "What now?"

Reo sighed, tapping Nagi on the shoulder. "Do you want the steak?"

"No..."

He pushed the plate, still hot, over to Y/N. There was at least half of the meat left, as well as all of the vegetables, cooked to perfection. Reo smiled warmly at him. "I'm going to take Nagi back to the dorm, and you are going to eat this steak. The rest of Team Z... they can have their silly little meals."

Y/N raised one of his hands to his forehead, playfully saluting Reo. "Sir, yes sir. I will eat the steak." His mouth was already watering, and Reo just chuckled as Nagi slowly got onto his back.

Before the pair left, Reo muttered something to Y/N under his breath. It was barely audible. "I like it when you call me that, treasure."

"Wait, what?"

Y/N practically spun around, locking eyes momentarily with Reo as he carried Nagi off. "What did you say? I didn't quite catch that."

"Oh, nothing." Reo gave him a small smile, before they headed out of the cafeteria. The black-haired boy was still sitting there, alone now with Y/N, and Y/N gave him a small prompt.

"Well? Are you not going to follow them?"

The boy pushed up his glasses. "Indeed. I shall follow." He rose up slowly, walking after his teammates.

"What a weirdo..." Y/N watched him go, before turning back to the steak in front of him. Being friends with Nagi and Reo does have some benefits, doesn't it?