33. Challengers (Part 2)

Rin was frustrated.

He was the best. Nobody even came close to his level. So how the hell had he let Team White score a goal? How the hell had that pathetic Y/N gone for the same ball he had?

On the other side of the field, that strange kid Isagi was also quite annoying. He'd been trying to beat Rin the entire game, and last game. It was clear he'd improved... but then again, he didn't even come close to Rin's level.

On the surface though, he looked completely calm. Emotionless as normal. No emotions meant no flaws, no wasted movements, and nothing but efficiency.

Chigiri began working up the wing. It was the same opening they'd seen from Team White before. Isagi was always trying to look for a pass from him, and Barou was always in the general vicinity, marked as he was by Y/N.

Y/N wasn't taking it seriously at all, giving Barou plenty of room to run around while he slowly jogged after.

The white-haired kid, Nagi. He was waiting in the back, squared up against Rin. Suddenly, he took off.

Sprinting up the field, Rin forced himself to accommodate. Filter out the different possibilities. Find the optimal play that they would try to make... then crush it.

As he expected. They passed back from Chigiri to Isagi, then Isagi sent a perfect pass far down the pitch towards Rin and Nagi. Once Rin properly squared off against Nagi, though...

He's a coward. Nagi passed the ball back to Isagi in a single touch, and as Rin's eyes moved to track the ball, he dashed to the other side of Rin, outside his field of vision.

Rin heard the scuffle of boots and instantly understood what was happening. Nagi thought he was past, but he was nowhere close to it.

Block the shot. Rin flung himself into Nagi's shooting line, perfectly stopping the shot.

Well, he would've. But somehow the white-haired boy had kicked the bottom of the ball, scraping it and making it spin backwards as it hovered midair. Rin went flying past, a jolt of panic running through him. Fake volley?!

The ball dropped to Nagi's feet, and with Rin struggling to turn around, there was nothing stopping him from slamming the ball into the back of the net.

"They got you good, Rin!" That little weasel Bachira grinned at him. "Still think this is half-baked?"

I know it is. Rin brought a hand to his face, digging his nails into his forehead and resting his palm on his nose. He hissed. "Shut up. I also get fired up when I'm frustrated."

Y/N laughed. "So edgy."

"And you." Rin spun on Y/N, eyes furious. "You'll never become the best striker in the world acting like that. You immature, lazy child."

Y/N wasn't fazed in the slightest. "Aren't you sixteen? I'm older than you."

Rin retrieved the ball, placing it on the floor as he gritted his teeth. "And I'm better than you."

"Oh yeah?" Y/N laughed. "Show me."

"Fine." Rin sucked in a deep breath. "Let's go."

Y/N returned to his normal position as the match restarted in spectacular fashion. Rin passed the ball past Bachira, all the way out to the wing where he was pitted against Barou.

It was a clear challenge. The ball was spinning in a way that would throw it directly into Barou's path, and away from Y/N. Y/N grinned with excitement, speeding up as he and Barou both ran for the ball.

The taller boy's red eyes were narrowed, and he made an imposing figure as he charged forwards. The charge did mean it would be difficult for him to turn, so instead of meeting Barou at the ball, Y/N aimed for beyond where the ball would land.