13. A Familiar Face... (Part 1)

"What was that?"

When he'd returned to Team Z, none of them looked all too happy. Except Bachira, who always looked happy to see Y/N. "Your boyfriends...?"

Y/N blushed a bright red, waving his hands and shaking his head fast. "Nononono, they're just my classmates. We went to the same school."

"And they're in Team V?" Raichi exclaimed. "Are you sure you aren't being a traitor and telling them all our plans?" Kuon's head flicked to Raichi, but nobody noticed it except Y/N.

Y/N shook his head again. "Remember, I haven't gone to a single strategy meeting yet. I couldn't tell people even if I wanted to."

"He's right, you knoooow..." Bachira half sang, skipping up to Y/N and round the boy with a smile. "Besides, why are we so suspicious? Let's eat dinner."

"Why do you defend him? Are you a spy too?" Raichi yelled. Most of Team Z were just covering their mouths, trying to hide their snickers at the blond boy's yelling.

"I might be, who knows?" Bachira joked, sticking out his tongue. "But really, can we eat now please?"

"I'm not going to forget this, Y/N." Raichi threatened him, and it was all Y/N could do to not burst out in laughter.

They headed over to the cafeteria serving hatches, Y/N taking his same order of yakitori skewers. Compared to the expensive, delicious crab he'd just had, and the rich soup, it didn't seem nearly as good as it did before.

"Hey, Bachira..." As the team sat down, talking amongst themselves, Y/N pushed his food towards Bachira. "I've already sort of eaten..."

"What did you have?" Bachira took most of the food happily, but pushed back a bowl of soup. "At least have the miso."

"Crab, Tonkotsu Ramen, and some European cold meats."

Bachira grinned widely, looking over to where Nagi and Reo were just beginning to make their way out of the cafeteria. "Is that their food?"

"Yeah." Y/N replied. "They're the two highest ranked in Building Five, so they have crazy good food!"

"Made some good friends there," Bachira laughed. "Get some crab for me next time, pretty please?"

🥕🥕🥕

The rest of the night went by fairly quickly. The entire team went for a group workout session, each of them training the specific muscles that pertained to their weapons.

Y/N just went on the treadmill, running at the max incline and hoping nobody noticed just how fast he was going. He needed to work out more - his skills might have fallen off from the lack of challenge in Bluelock.

After a shower, they'd sat around in their dorm for a while, discussing strategies. And instead of that, Y/N was on the side chatting to Chigiri about video games.

So the next morning, while everyone was stressing, practising, and doing some final practices of how their plan would work, Y/N was doing cartwheels on the turf and annoying the hell out of Raichi.

Lunchtime was tense, with barely any conversation as everyone seemed too stressed out. Y/N supposed it was fair, though. If they lost this game, their soccer careers would be completely over.

By the time the game came around, Team Z was even more stressed. The stretching before the game started was silent, and as they linked arms and put their heads together in a huddle, everyone's faces were written with similar expressions of fear and worry.

"Like us, Team Y lost the first game. Their backs are against the wall, so they'll be desperate." Kuon said. "Watch out for their number 9. He's Kumamoto prefecture's top scorer."