2.6. Dead In The Water

"Go, go, go!"

Everyone sprang into action, immediately as the ball was passed to Isagi. The U-20 forwards immediately surged forwards, three of them meeting Isagi, Rin, and Nagi in a skirmish right on the centre line. Sae hung back slightly, waiting patiently as Bluelock shoved forwards.

"Rin!" Isagi kicked it across, as one of the U-20 forwards ran towards him. They'd practised their strategy beforehand. For the majority of the offence, he, Rin and Nagi would form a triangle, to keep possession of the ball while slowly pushing upfield.

Rin received it. He didn't take any risks as another one of the forwards ran towards him, passing it on to Nagi. Nagi didn't stop. He tapped the ball back to Isagi, as they ran forwards. The enemy team's forwards were quickly left behind.

It was easy... but Isagi knew better to get overconfident. Ego had studied each of the Japanese forwards, and pretty much laughed at them.

"They're all trash. Compared to you, none of them have developed their weapons. Expect them to be easily beaten, focus your energy onto the enemies that matter. The defenders." Isagi ran ahead of one of the three forwards, passing across the field to Rin. His ball went low and fast, straight to Rin's feet.

Rin received the ball with an extended foot. He threw a dark glare over his shoulder at his team, voice low and serious. "Offensive positions."

Like that, Bluelock kicked into a higher gear. Karasu dropped back, and from the two flanks, Bachira and Chigiri surged into the centre of the field with sudden bursts of speed. They pushed right past the U-20 forwards, swelling the number of Bluelock players in the midfield to six. Half the team faced off against Sae and two of the U-20 midfielders.

Rin touched the ball across to Bachira as the bumblebee sped up down the left side of the field. He fell in beside him, but the support wasn't needed. Bachira tapped the ball once, twice, three times. He turned his back to the enemy midfielder, span, and in a flash, was straight past.

The sound of feet scuffling on the ground was audible even for Rin, and the gasp of surprise from the midfielder had a grim smile forming on his lips. Bachira laughed, speeding up down the field.

The crowd stilled momentarily. They'd been cheering the entire time the game had been going on, but in the brief moment Bachira slipped past the U-20 player, they paused. Hesitated.

They were through. The four U-20 defenders were all that was left, with the midfielders struggling to cope with the huge attack, and the forwards completely useless. Orders were yelled out across the field as the U-20 team readied their defence. Rin, Nagi, Chigiri, Otoya, and Yukimiya flooded into the goal zone, but Bachira only had eyes for one boy.

"I knew it'd be you, Isagi." Bachira lined up the pass, kicking it high over the head of the nearest defender. He touched two fingers to his lips, blowing a teasing kiss as he grinned. Not slowing one bit, he chased after the ball he'd just kicked, ready to get a goal. "Love you, partner."

Before it could reach Isagi, one of the defenders began running. A tall man, with dark, medium length hair. Like he'd already spotted where the ball was going... but that was impossible, right?

Right?

He leapt up. Bachira's eyes widened, catching a glimpse of a number 2 and the name 'Aiku' before the man was high in the air. His body arched, a serpent rearing its head, and with a solid header, he knocked the ball straight out of the field.

It hit the ground, rolled, and went over the touchline.

Aiku landed in a crouch. He exhaled, calmly rising to his feet with one hand clenched. The crowd leapt to their feet, cheers ringing out for the U-20 captain. He stood way higher than Bachira, taunting eyes meeting Bachira's across the entire field. Are you serious?