35. Promise.

It was a good while before Y/N actually moved from his spot.

The whistle blew three times overhead, and the electronic voice rang out above. "Team Red wins, 5-4. Please select a player to move forwards with you."

Y/N had been deep in thought the entire time, standing there in the mouth of the goal. Nobody really paid attention to him. Team Red was celebrating their win, and Team White had their hands on faces, disappointment clear.

Isagi had crumpled to the floor as soon as Y/N had scored. He lay in the exact same position Niko had, palms pressed against the artificial grass as he sobbed into the floor. A quiet, strangled sound came from his throat.

Y/N moved, for now pushing the thoughts of Kuroi back into the corners of his mind. Bachira had come running over to him, and collided with him in a tackle that sent both of them to the floor.

Y/N forced himself to forget about everything he'd just been thinking about, a small smile forming on his lips at how happy Bachira was. He looked like a little kid, arms around Y/N's midriff as he laughed.

"That was amazing!" He yelled. "Wha- whaaaat?!"

Chuckling, Y/N propped himself up on his arm. "That's nowhere near the best I can do. Just wait and see."

"I will!" Wide-eyed, Bachira grinned, hugging Y/N. He hugged back, for a few seconds just lying there on the ground gazing up at the ceiling.

We passed the second selection. Now it's time for the training camp. Ego said five of the best players in the world... That'll certainly be interesting. And then Sae's proposal too... Playing for Japan.

Bachira sighed. "Who do you want to pick?"

"Don't you want Isagi?" Y/N frowned. "You're always on about him. And it's always up to us to choose anyway. Rin doesn't care who we pick."

"Be quiet." Rin spoke up. He'd walked over to them, standing over them with Aryu. "I'm choosing this time. No argument."

"Welp, I guess he does this time." Y/N shrugged.

Worry overtook Bachira's face. "I don't need Isagi to play soccer anymore. These few days, I've learnt how to play without him... But that doesn't mean I don't want him."

"Hey, it'll be okay." Y/N soothed. "I think Rin'll go for him anyway."

"This is annoying for me to say." Rin lowly muttered. "But I was unable to read that last goal you scored. I need to crush you." He raised a finger to Isagi.

"Come, Isagi. You aren't going to fall here."

Y/N could've sworn Bachira's eyes turned to gold for a second. He hugged Y/N tighter, grinning even wider than before as the two boys lay there on the floor. Rin and Aryu stood over them, for once neither of them trying to tell them off.

Rin allowed them a minute, lying on the floor. Everyone was trying to catch their breath, chests heaving as they gradually cooled off. From where he was on the ground, Y/N watched Chigiri cry out in frustration, hands on his knees as he panted.

"Let's go." Rin beckoned Isagi to them, before he and Aryu headed for the winners' gate. Y/N rose off the floor with Bachira.

Over by Nagi, Barou and Chigiri, Isagi was trying to comfort them. "Sorry, guys."

None of them listened to him. Nagi had his head angled to the ceiling, hands on his hips as white hair fell over his eyes. And Barou's fists were clenched. "We were so close to beating the Top Three. And that last goal... we could've have done anything-"