20. The Hidden Monster

"I can play properly..." Y/N mumbled under his breath. "I can... play..."

After a few weeks of not using his potential, sucking up to the rest of Team Z and trying to hide himself away, it was a huge breath of fresh air to say that.

It was too late for him to do anything at that moment, though, and he wasn't going to steal the ball from his teammates. Bachira and Isagi pressed Reo closely, forcing the purple-haired boy to pass it out to the wing.

Zantetsu deftly caught the ball with the outside of his foot, jumping a bit to take the ball down. He exploded with speed, running fast down Team Z's left wing, but was met with Naruhaya and Y/N in his path.

Instead of going through them like Y/N expected, Zantetsu passed it all the way back to the centre of the field. Nagi was waiting patiently to receive it, but before he could, Igaguri came out of nowhere, using his head like a bat to knock it away.

The ball went to Isagi, then to Bachira, who began a fast attack. Kunigami and Gagamaru ran up the flanks, while Bachira broke some poor defender's ankles and zipped up the field with his dribbling.

He booted a long pass way in front of Gagamaru, and the caveman leapt forwards. A diving header was ambitious - maybe too ambitious as the ball glanced off of the crossbar, letting the goalkeeper safely pick it up.

"It's alright!" The defenders yelled towards Gagamaru. "Try again!"

Y/N stayed in defence, watching as Reo received the ball. He searched for Nagi, calling out as his face lit up with excitement.

"Hey, Nagi! Let's give that move a try!"

What an ego... Y/N grinned to himself. We've shown that we aren't just simple pushovers, and that got him excited. Reo is a proper egoist.

Near Y/N in defence, Nagi gave him a helpless, tired look. His shoulders slumped, and he mouthed 'help me' before turning back to Reo. Y/N hadn't even known Nagi noticed him. The white-haired boy seemed to pay no attention to anybody except Reo. "Do I have to?"

Reo slammed the ball hard, sending a ridiculously long pass all the way back from defence. It curved in the air, heading in front of Nagi as the white-haired boy ran slowly forwards.

"He missed the pass!" Igaguri shouted, running to intercept.

Before the ball could hit the ground, Nagi's eyes narrowed. He launched himself forwards ridiculously fast, extending a leg high into the air to perfectly catch the ball.

Like that, all the momentum of the pass was gone. Nagi gave a small hum of satisfaction, dropping to the ground. He drew back a leg with wide eyes, like he was in a trance, and slammed it straight into the back of the goal.

Y/N blinked twice. "Whoa, not a bad trap."

Igaguri rushed over to the ball as the whistle blew to signify Team V's goal. He kicked it from the goal line, beginning play immediately as he yelled out. "It's one goal, keep going! Amen!"

Raichi growled. "Let's do this!"

Kunigami received the ball off Isagi, and they began moving up the field. Y/N sat in defence, waiting for something to happen. He wanted to score, but he held himself back for now. For what reason, he didn't really know.

It wasn't long before Reo managed to steal the ball. Smiling, he immediately launched a similar long pass across the field. It went a lot higher, and less far, practically falling on top of Nagi's head.

Nagi stopped the ball with his laces, sending it high up into the air and going backwards over his head. Isagi shouted to the defence. "Stop him! It bounced up, you have a chance!"