29. The Top Three

Y/N pulled a red vest over his Bluelock uniform, catching a whiff of some strong detergent. He grimaced, trying to ignore it as he sat on the floor, reaching for shin guards and a pair of red socks.

Across the field, Isagi, Nagi, and Bachira were all putting on white coloured gear. They didn't look nervous to Y/N at all as he strapped on the shin guards, pulling the socks over them. In fact, they seemed oddly excited, a powerful light shining in all of their eyes as they talked amongst themselves.

"Hey." Y/N looked up as Rin stepped in front of him, green eyes colder than jade. "Don't get in my way. Or I'll destroy you."

"Fine by me~" He cheerfully replied. "As long as we win the game, I don't care how we do it."

Y/N finished tying off his laces, and stood up. Rin was incredibly tall, still standing a good amount above him, and he had to crane his head to look him in the eyes. "So, what's your plan?"

"Crush them." With that hell of a one liner, Rin strode off to the centre of their half. Y/N walked off to his own position, mirroring Bachira on the other side of the field.

The field was quite small, with little space for manoeuvring. The goals looked to have been downsized as well, making shots much harder especially with the Bluelock Man involved.

But the first stage of the second selection had trained Y/N. He'd probably improved a bit, being able to focus on shooting faster than before.

Rin matched up against Isagi in the middle of the field, and on the opposite side, Aryu faced off against Nagi. It was going to be an easy game for them, probably. None of the opponents' weapons were anywhere near strong enough to overwhelm them.

"Kickoff!" A whistle blew, and like that, everyone on Team White sprung into action. Y/N and Rin remained still, just watching them, and Aryu simply began to walk slowly forwards.

Isagi crossed his feet, sending a sneaky pass directly to Bachira. As one, they began moving up the field, Bachira dribbling in short, quick steps as he approached Y/N. As for the small boy, he did nothing. He just stood there, slowly extending a leg as Bachira spun around him, easily moving past.

"The rankings simply reflect the order we cleared the first stage, right?" Bachira crowed as he zipped past. "I levelled up from that training with Bluelock Man, you see!"

Y/N let his shoulders slump, and tilted his head to mutter back at Rin. "I'm not in your way, so show me what you can do..."

"Shut up." Rin harshly replied.

Bachira and Isagi ran for Rin, who hadn't moved an inch. "Next up is Rin-chan! Are you ready, Isagi?"

"Yeah!" Isagi ran into a position to receive the ball, dodging around Rin's left side while Bachira struck out the right.

He didn't receive it, though. Instead, Bachira hummed with satisfaction, lobbing a pass over Rin's head towards Nagi. The white haired boy had cut in way behind, and even though Aryu had been there, Y/N's team had no chance of getting the ball.

Y/N just stood there, eyes flickering between the other team as he heaved a sigh of disappointment. And here I was thinking they'd improved... I guess no matter how good the facilities, they only had 90 minutes.

Nagi leapt back, extending a leg to toe-poke the ball back to Isagi and Bachira. Rin was in a good position to steal, but he didn't, standing there as Team White moved past him.

Isagi was there. Instead of trapping it like a normal person before he shot, he jumped forwards. While both he and the ball were midair, he hit home a powerful shot, spinning like some ninja as he drove it into the back of the goal.