2. Invitation

Y/N pushed through the door to his small apartment, dripping water over the laminated wooden floor. He was completely drenched from the rain, yet he still had a wide smile on his face as he took off his soccer boots.

It fell off his face in an instant as he noticed a small white envelope, lying on the floor at his feet. Water slowly fell from his hair, staining the paper as he stared in mute surprise.

He hadn't had a letter in ages. In fact, he couldn't remember the last time someone had actually sent a physical letter. "Do they not know how email works?" Y/N sighed, picking up the envelope. He tossed it a bit far away from him, stripping off his wet clothes and going in search of a towel and dry clothes.

His house was kind of cold, but he ignored it, grabbing a dry towel and roughly drying himself off before throwing on a hoodie and some shorts. It was still sort of light outside - it'd only been an hour or so since he'd finished playing that match.

Oh yeah, and about that match? Y/N had practically begged to stay and keep playing, and put himself in defence with the promise of not scoring another goal. It still had been unfair, with the other team completely unable to get past the teenager, but at least they'd all had fun.

After he'd finished changing, Y/N brought the envelope over to his desk, unfolding the envelope and peering inside. It wasn't at all what he'd expected.

Congratulations, Y/N L/N!
You have been selected via arbitrary and biased decision making to participate in a soccer training project, held by the Japanese Football Union. This project aims to help young players aged 15-18 to greatly improve their soccer skills, and eventually aims to put the top performers in the project in the Japanese U-20 team.

All players are invited to come to [insert random address here], where more information about the project will be given, as well as how it will work. There are only 300 players that have been chosen, so it is a perfect chance to progress each of their football careers.

Y/N frowned, skimming over the rest of the letter. It seemed legit, especially when he searched the address and it came up with a registered JFU building. Yet, he hadn't exactly done anything to receive the attention, had he? He didn't play for any clubs - all he did was join random tournaments and teams, and leave after one game. Nobody should've been able to piece together who he was.

He leant back in his chair. "They wouldn't try another project, right? It's just gonna end up being another huge waste of money."

Though, it was interesting. Y/N was going to become the best striker in the world. There wasn't any doubt in his mind. And if this 'Bluelock Project' put him directly onto the Japanese U-20 team... Then it was worth a shot.

And who knew? Maybe he would find some interesting people there. The only person to really challenge him in Ascension was Julian Loki, even though they would only just mess around together. Y/N thought hard. Well, not really.

"Eh, whatever. I'll do it." He spoke to himself, disinterested. "But... at the same time... just destroying everyone would be boring. I wanna watch other people play, give them a chance to improve so I can have a proper match later down the line."

His e/c eyes lit up momentarily. "That might be entertaining. Playing mediocre to let everyone else have more chances to score."

And if I do get put on the U-20 team... that means I'll play internationally right? And maybe against the best countries in the world? Like France...

Y/N's eyes drifted to a picture, pinned by a tack to the wall of his apartment. It showed him as a kid, side by side with four other kids. Three other Japanese boys huddled around him as they looked at the camera, huge grins on their faces. Y/N himself stood in the middle, his arm around a younger Julian Loki, standing right by his side.

Another picture showed Y/N and Loki mid-practice, the two of them with outstretched legs, the ball halfway between them. Both the boys looked like they were having fun, even while training.

He looked happy, didn't he? Y/N tore his eyes off the images, ignoring the pang of loneliness that pricked at him. I don't need him anymore. I'm done with being hurt by people. "Maybe I'll find you again, Jules. That would be a bonus."

🥕🥕🥕

The next day came all too fast.

Y/N stumbled into his first class in Hakuho High School a few minutes later than normal, attracting the attention of everyone else who was already there. Whispers broke out near instantly - he was never late.

Hakuho was a fancy school, with an extremely high rating and average grades much higher than the others in the region. Especially in the top class, lates were uncommon, and they always had a reason. So Y/N showing up so suddenly was something to talk about.

"Sorry I'm late, sir." He muttered out. The teenager had something held in both hands, that he kept behind his back as he apologised to the teacher.

Two boys paid extra attention, seeing the familiar slip of paper held in Y/N's hands. Their eyes widened simultaneously, and the purple haired boy insistently tapped the other's shoulder. "Nagi, are you seeing this?"

"Hmm?" Nagi Seishiro sighed tiredly, leaning his head on his friend's shoulder and slouching. "Reo, it's too early for this..." He had indeed seen the Bluelock invitation that Y/N held, but he couldn't be bothered to express his surprise.

Reo Mikage slung an arm around Nagi's waist, stopping the tall boy from falling off his chair as he struggled to keep his eyes open. It was basically in-built into him, as every single morning lesson Nagi would end up falling asleep.

His grip tightened as Nagi's eyes fluttered closed. "You know Y/N L/N? The kid that sits at the back? He's got a Bluelock invite as well!"

"Mhm..." Nagi mumbled out, the warmth of Reo being so close to him lulling him to sleep. The teacher was used to his antics by now, paying the two boys no attention. They still got top marks, even while only half concentrating. "That's nice."

"Nagi, this is a game changer!" Reo didn't pay attention to the fact that Nagi was slowly falling into his lap, one arm still around the white-haired boy as he spoke animatedly. "If he got an invite, that means he must be really good! After we go do whatever Bluelock is, maybe we can get him to join our team!"

"I'm surprised that you didn't know he played already..." Nagi couldn't keep himself awake for any longer.

"So am I. But come to think of it, I've never actually seen him touch a soccer ball..." Reo stared at Y/N as the h/c boy took his seat at the back of the class. "Could he be hiding his talent?"

No response from Nagi, who was now peacefully sleeping with his head on Reo's lap. Reo watched Y/N as the other boy put his bag under his desk, gazing at the slip of paper without bothering to acknowledge any of the class. "Nagi? What do you think?"

No response again. Reo frowned, looking down. "Hmm?"

Only when he looked down did he realise that Nagi had fallen asleep. Reo gave him a small smile, running a hand through his treasure's white hair and continuing to keep an eye on Y/N.