5. The Bumblebee and the Princess

In a matter of minutes, everyone was piled into a few different coaches. The atmosphere had completely changed - before, it had been tense and suspicious, but now there was an air of excitement and competitiveness as everybody took their seats.

Each of the coaches had the same blue paint, with the logo of Bluelock stamped on the side. Everyone was handed a player card with their name and room number on it as they climbed aboard, and now Y/N had found himself sitting between a bumblebee and a princess.

The pink-haired boy didn't seem too talkative, just staring out of the window with his chin on his hand.

On the other hand, the bumblebee boy was bouncing in his seat with excitement, his yellow eyes looking Y/N up and down. "Hiya!"

"Hey!" Y/N smiled at how energetic the new boy seemed to be, watching as the last few people got into their seats and the coach began to pull away from the building.

"I'm Bachira Meguru!" He placed both hands on his legs, talking to both Y/N and the princess. "Who are you guys?"

The pink-haired boy by the window glanced over, with a tired expression on his face. "Chigiri Hyoma." He didn't pay much attention to them, instead returning to his window gazing.

"Y/N L/N, pleasure to meet you." Y/N held out a hand, and Bachira shook it enthusiastically.

"Maybe we'll be on the same team? You seem really fun to play with!"

Y/N frowned a bit, leaning back in his seat. "We've known each other for all of twenty seconds."

The bumblebee's cheerful expression didn't falter. Instead, his gaze on Y/N intensified, making him flush uncomfortably. "I know. But there's something that tells me you're good at soccer. Much better than the people in this coach."

Right. So what was my original plan...? Pretend to be a weakling like everyone else? Y/N swallowed his pride, smiling. "I'm alright at soccer, I guess. But I'm sure loads of people here are better than me."

"Hmm..." Bachira shrugged. He leant back in his own chair, reaching up to the roof of the coach to fiddle a bit with the air-con. "Whatever you say, Y/N!"

The coaches must have been a strange sight to see for anybody on the roads. A solid line of five identical coaches, winding their way through the streets and onto the motorway in a slightly intimidating convoy.

Y/N could catch a few people staring at them as he looked past Chigiri out of the window. Most of them just seemed confused, but he saw one or two people snapping photos as well. We're going to be on social media later, aren't we...

A few moments later, a lively jingle came from hidden speakers, ringing through the coach. Everyone looked up in surprise as Ego's voice rang out.

"Hello, diamonds in the rough. The time now is 4:00pm. We will be travelling by coach until approximately 7:30pm, to the Bluelock facility. Snacks will be brought along the coach at around 6:30pm, and the air-con above each seat can be changed to fit your preferences."

He paused to take a breath before continuing, the sound rushing through the coach in a burst of static. "You will start training the moment you get to the facility, so rest up."

Bachira didn't seem to have heard the last bit, continuing to bounce with sparkling eyes. "Snacks?"

"Later, Bachira." Y/N watched as Bachira fished out his phone, navigating to Spotify.

The other boy held out an earphone. "Want to listen with me?"

"Depends what you have." Y/N glanced over his playlist. It wasn't the worst, he supposed, with crazy amounts of dance music and pop. "Sure." There wasn't really much else to do.

"Alright!" Bachira smiled happily as the music started to play.

🥕🥕🥕

It didn't take long for Bachira to wear himself out.

The boy had been beyond excited, bouncing his leg and constantly looking around the coach. Y/N just observed as he gradually got more and more tired, ending up gradually falling asleep.

Now, he was soundly sleeping, his thumb in his mouth and curled up into a ball on his coach seat. Y/N just smiled at the childish actions, taking out Bachira's earphone and placing it back in his case.

Chigiri looked over for once, raising an eyebrow at Bachira. "He fell asleep?"

"Yeah."

"Hm." The pink-haired boy didn't say anything more, staring at the window again. He doesn't talk much, does he?

"Soooo..." Y/N drew out the words as he thought of something to talk about. Chigiri didn't seem like a talkative person, nor did he seem like a nice person, but Y/N was still going to try to talk. "Are you excited for Bluelock?"

"No." Chigiri flatly said, without turning from the window.

An awkward silence followed, as Y/N flushed red with embarrassment. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Um, okay."

The pink-haired boy seemed to notice Y/N's crestfallen tone, and turned to face him, voice softening for a split-second. "It just seems like a waste of time, you know?"

Y/N perked up slightly, meeting Chigiri's piercing eyes. "I guess so, but then again, you get a chance to play for Japan...?"

He hesitated, idly running his hands through strands of his long hair. "I'm not really interested in soccer. It was fun before, but not really anymore."

"But you are, aren't you?" Y/N looked up at Chigiri with wide, innocent eyes. "Otherwise, why would you come to Bluelock?"

"No reason in particular." His voice grew softer as he spoke to Y/N. "I guess I just wanted to find a way to give up soccer for good."

"Oh, why?"

Y/N patiently waited for an answer as the other boy thought hard for a second. His eyes went distant, looking past Y/N like he could see something other than the coach.

It was a few seconds before he snapped back to reality, blushing furiously as he realised that Y/N was still waiting for an answer, with a small smile on his face. "O-oh, sorry. Just thinking."

"Don't sweat it." Y/N said. "If you don't want to talk about that stuff, it's okay." He smiled reassuringly.

Once again, the two of them lapsed into silence, but unlike before, it was a comfortable silence.

Until Bachira's sleeping form shifted, the boy mumbling something unintelligible in his sleep. "Muhwhum..."

He curled up against Y/N's side, head on his legs. Bachira's eyes were firmly closed, and he wiggled a little bit, still with his thumb in his mouth like a baby.

Y/N glanced over at Chigiri, who watched the scene with an amused half-smile. "Some help, please?"