17. Betrayal

When the game started again, it went trivially easy for Team Z.

It was surprising, to be honest. Y/N stood back, watching intently as the enemy team gave out free chances to score like candy. Their passing was slow and basically invited Team Z to steal, their dribbling was awkward, and the two brothers that had tore through Team Z's defence at the start of the game were useless.

Kunigami stole the ball off one of the brothers, who was too busy seething to even think about passing. He sent it along to Bachira. After a long pass, it was for a second time Kuon that had scored.

He cheered loudly, and as Team Z celebrated for a second time this game, Y/N frowned deeply. They're letting us win. These mistakes are things I expect to see toddlers making... they're playing like they don't want to win.

Pursing his lips, he surveyed the field. Despite being 2-0 down in the first twenty minutes, Team W still didn't look like they cared. In fact, they seemed happy still, sneaking small smiles at each other when they thought Team Z wasn't looking.

And only a few minutes later, Team W gave away another chance to score.

The taller of the Wanima brothers grabbed Naruhaya's shoulder, brutally yanking him backwards and tossing him to the floor. He was fuming, and Y/N could imagine steam coming out of his ears as Naruhaya grinned teasingly up at him.

"That's a free kick!"

Bachira took the ball, as the rest of the team moved close to the box. It was a good distance away, but everyone knew just how good Bachira's passing was. They crowded around the goal, pushing against their Team W counterparts as everyone tried to get Bachira's attention.

Their marking is off... Y/N realised. They're avoiding Kuon...? All of Team Z's players were marked well, with a wall of Team W players pushing against them. But Kuon only had one boy behind him, and that player wasn't even paying much attention. He had a free shot on goal.

Bachira seemed to have noticed it too, because he launched the ball high in the air towards Kuon. The brown-haired boy leapt up, using his head to smash the ball directly into the back of the goal.

Everyone celebrated, and Y/N sighed.

Why are people so desperate? If I was that bad, I would just quit.

He knew what was happening. He knew that Kuon was a traitor, that he was somehow working with Team W. He knew that there was probably no way that Team Z could win this, unless he played properly, which he wouldn't.

And finally, he knew that Kuon was utter garbage. Y/N hated cheaters, and in a game like this, with everyone's careers on the line? Maybe I should ask Barou to beat him up or something...

Y/N was proved right just a few minutes after the third goal Kuon scored. He was sat all the way at the back of the pitch, when Kuon decided to stop moving the ball, raising a finger like he was giving a speech.

In that time, one of the Wanima brothers zipped in from the side, taking the ball from Kuon. He smiled creepily, and with that, Team W began an attack. They passed the ball out to the wing, quickly taking advantage of their new opportunity.

"Hey, you gave away the ball!" Raichi yelled, louder than all of Team Z. "Idiot!"

Team Z scrambled to defend. They fell back, running up the pitch as they tried to catch up to the two Wanima brothers. Like the start of the game, they seemed utterly unstoppable, running straight through all of Team Z as they faced each player two on one.

As Y/N lazily stood up, stretching tiredly over his head, Isagi went in for a slide tackle again. This time, though, they were ready for it, and the brother pulled the ball back just in time so Isagi slid past him.