2.4. The Expensive Mistake

"I don't care!"

Y/N glanced up from his book. He was curled up on his bed, swaddled in heavy blankets and leaning against fluffy pillows. His young, six year old's eyes drifted to the door, as his lips pressed together in a childish pout. Even though the door was closed, he could hear the yelling.

"I don't want this! I never wanted this!"

"Baby, it's fine! Just listen to me a moment- I have ideas!"

"Screw your ideas! Last time you had an idea, we-"

"We don't talk about that."

Y/N shifted in the pile of blankets. It was nice and warm there. Like a big hug. Or a cloud. They wrapped around him like a pair of arms, holding him gently in a soft embrace. His book was nice too. There were pretty pictures. And the words were big and easy to read.

"Don't you dare throw that!"

"I will if you don't listen to me! I'm trying to help us here!"

"You're a terrible helper!"

"You're a terrible wife!"

Y/N liked his room. It was small, but to him, that meant it was cosy. It wasn't like the rest of the house, which was big and scary and full of cold glass and hard marble. It was barely big enough for his bed, but that was okay. His light was a warm yellow, hanging from the low ceiling. And his cupboard was big enough for him to fit the few clothes he had.

"Says you, L/N! You're always working! You never have any time for me, just your business!"

"Oh, we're doing last names now? And I do business for us, so you don't have to work!"

"You keep saying everything is 'for us', but it isn't. You're just doing everything for yourself!"

"Shut the fuck up! Just listen to me for a second. I know this is fucking stressful, but we have to do something about him!"

Y/N caught the last bit. Of course they were talking about him. They were always talking about him, when he was inside his room. They didn't know Y/N heard every single argument, every profanity yelled across the hallway outside, all of the crying and screaming and hatred going on just outside his door.

"Look, if we stay here, the media is going to eat this up. We need to do something, and before you say anything, I do have an idea."

"This better be good."

"Just cut ties with him. Send him away, and they'll never find out. We can send him money if you feel bad, and we can give him a house servant for a while because he's so young."

"It almost sounds like you care about him."

"Why would I care about your fucking mistake?"

"My mistake? I'm sorry, just mine? It was both of ours! If you hadn't given me all that drink, we'd have been more careful!"

"If you could keep it in your pants, he wouldn't exist."

Y/N's eyes slowly scanned the book. In the book, there was a pretty picture of a frog. He knew it wasn't an actual frog though. It was a fairy prince, a very handsome one at that. He was transformed into the frog by the evil witch.

"Look, we'll just send him away. Give him money, whatever, I don't want a negligence case on my hands if they do find out. It'll be fine."

"Give him a new name too. They'll never know."