17. Betrayal (Part 2)

When it was clear nothing was going to interfere with the game, Y/N turned back to the rest of the field.

Team Z looked down and out, horribly despondent. They were stunned, only staring blankly as Team W worked their way up the field.

The enemy advanced, manic grins displayed on every single one of their faces as they delighted in Team Z's pain, delighted in the idea that they would win. Y/N clenched his fists, trying his best to not care as they slowly moved forwards.

They had all the time in the world, playing with twelve players.

Team Z gradually began to come back to their senses, attempting a defence that was terribly fractured. Their positions had to change due to the lack of their 11th player, and it was nearly impossible to defend against twelve players all working in unison.

In a rush of movement, they bombarded Team Z with attacks. Even as their forwards tried to move into defence, more and more Team W members piled onto the attack.

With the extra manpower, they just passed the ball around, from person to person as Team Z scrambled to defend. Naruhaya slipped and fell as the two Wanima brothers styled on him. Gagamaru attempted a steal, but Kuon was there to pick the loose ball up and continue the attack.

It didn't take long for them to score the goal, the shorter Wanima brother slamming the ball into the back of the net.

🥕🥕🥕

Bachira started the next kick-off. He took his time, passing slowly to Isagi.

Y/N had completely abandoned his defensive position, walking slowly up the wing as he watched the field. Him trying to hold back was starting to be annoying...

I'm giving them a chance to play for themselves, he reminded himself. If I just go all out, then both our team and the enemy team's talents will be wasted.

Isagi took the ball forwards. Two Team W members pushed him from either side, legs tangling as they tried to get the ball. He passed it out, grunting with effort. The ball came flying at Y/N.

Instinctively, he took it down cleanly using his chest, and started slowly moving forwards. Both of the Wanima brothers were on him like starving dogs, following right at his heels as they attempted to get the ball.

"It's no use, little Y/N." One of them cackled from behind him. "Kuon told us literally everything about your team. Including the fact that you're an immature, lazy player with no talent at all."

"You want to bet?" Without hesitation, Y/N stopped the ball. He'd been running forwards at a steady speed, forcing the two brothers to tag behind him. Everyone watched with shock as Y/N's momentum completely stopped, the boy stopping the ball calmly as both of the Wanima twins went flying past him on either side.

He grinned, before passing the ball back to Isagi. The short boy didn't last for more than a few seconds as five Team W players surrounded him, stealing the ball away.

This time, Kuon took a shot on goal. Iemon lunged across, and with a flick of his wrist, barely managed to send the ball off course.

"Nice, Iemon!"

Isagi was on the loose ball in an instant, desperately trying to keep playing. "I'm not losing this!"

"I'll defend this goal even if it kills me!" Iemon roared. Y/N secretly thought that it was a bit cringe, but he supposed they were fighting for their soccer careers. "If we get one, we tie it up 4-4! We can have a chance!"

The ball bounced over to Chigiri, who slowly went after it. Breathing slowly, Y/N paused as the Wanima twins went straight after Chigiri, laughing the entire time.