23. Have Any Sugar?

"You've got to be fucking kidding me."

Even though Anri was right in front of him, and he was currently sitting in a medical bed with his leg burning with pain and two doctors trying to put a needle in his leg, Y/N despised the idea of sitting out.

"Y/N, we need to treat your leg now." Anri explained. "A friction burn is a huge patch of open flesh, and we need to clean it, sterilise it, and then skin graft. You'll need to take things easy after that as well, for a few days."

"How will I do the second selection, then?" Y/N tried his best to not react to the pain, grimacing.

"There's a small gap between the first and second selection, where all players in Building Five will have to do some physical endurance." Anri replied. "The skin graft should be okay after that long."

"But Team Z will have to play nine against eleven!" Y/N protested. "And I might not progress!"

A shadow detached from the wall, which was surprising considering how well lit the infirmary seemed to be. "Y/N, I wouldn't let you go out like this." Ego Jinpachi stood near him, staring down at him coldly. "Especially since you showed us a hint of your full potential in that game."

Y/N scoffed. "What, you'd bend your precious little rules?"

"Yes." Ego replied instantly. "You would be an exception. Replacing Kuon Wataru is easy, considering how he got those goals. Besides, it doesn't look like you'll need to worry."

He took out a tablet, showing it to Y/N. It was a live feed of the game playing out, streamed from the cameras dotted around the pitch.

Y/N looked closely. Team Z had somehow held out against the corner kick, with Gagamaru going for a risky kick that sent the ball flying off the crossbar. It went high into the air, and with a dazed look on his face, Isagi received it.

Before anything else could happen, Y/N felt a stabbing in the side of his neck. Ego nodded once, satisfied as Y/N felt the energy leave him. "The burn needs to be cleaned, sooner rather than later. It is a painful process, so we'll put you asleep for now. Enjoy the rest."

You sneaky little bast-

Y/N didn't even have time to spit out an insult before he was out like a light.

🥕🥕🥕

"Um... Can I talk to him? I know it's late..."

A quiet, withdrawn voice broke Y/N's sleep, gradually allowing him to come back to his senses.

First, the feel of his back against the medical bed, arms touching the metal rails on either side and head against a pillow. Right after, the scent of some kind of candle, probably vanilla from the sweet, delicate smell. And last, the taste of chemicals filling his entire mouth.

Y/N's eyes shot open, and he retched. Sitting up, he quickly grabbed a conveniently located bin right next to his bed, and was sick right into it.

Niko glanced over at him with surprise, standing next to a doctor who had been insisting Y/N get sleep. He looked the same as usual, with his bangs covering his eyes and his Bluelock casual wear on. It was late at night, and his posture seemed tired, worn out from a day of training. "You okay...?"

Y/N nodded, raising one finger for Niko to wait as he coughed. When he was done, wiping his lips with a tissue, he managed a small smile. "Okay enough... Do you have any sugar?"

"Hmm?"

"Sugar. You know, that sweet stuff. Or the steak from the cafeteria." Y/N coughed again, sucking in deep breaths. "Or even crack cocaine, that would be good."