33. Challengers (Part 1)

Y/N's team formed the default formation for a team of four. They were starting off with the ball, Rin standing in the centre of the field next to it. Bachira hung back behind him, acting as a way to give passes to each of the players.

He himself stood on the right hand side of the pitch, Aryu on the left. As soon as Team White entered the room, the taller boy walked quickly forwards, maintaining perfect posture as he approached Chigiri.

Y/N frowned, watching them interact. Aryu had taken hold of Chigiri's hair, eyes staring wide as he wrapped it around his finger to study. "That hair... is so glamorous. What do you put on it?"

Chigiri's mouth opened, and he hesitated, flushing pink. Aryu didn't seem to care how weird he was acting, focused entirely on his pink hair. "The same stuff everyone else uses."

Aryu hummed, thinking, before he nodded once. "It must be natural born glam." The tall boy extended a hand for a handshake, letting go of the hair. "It's a pleasure to meet another glam person, Chigiri Hyoma."

Chigiri accepted the handshake, gingerly holding his hand forwards. "Nice to meet you too." He checked the side of Aryu's uniform, making a note of the name. It was difficult, with him having to look slightly up to get a glimpse of Aryu's shoulder. "You have quite a classical name, Aryu Jyubei."

Uhoh. Y/N raised an eyebrow as Aryu's eyes widened with shock. The tall boy dramatically threw his head back, arms extending into a cross as he yelled loudly. Chigiri jumped back, startled by the sudden movements.

"Do not call me that!" Aryu bellowed - no, intoned. With his deep voice, it sounded sort of kind of very crazy. "My last name is not... Glam!" He drew out the last few words, making Chigiri very confused as he slowly withdrew.

He mumbled some things under his breath that Y/N couldn't really hear. The few words that he did hear just made him more confused, with things like "Oozes... mistakeable... a... samurai... complex."

Out of the blue, Aryu began throwing poses, full on emoting in front of Team White. "Let me erase all thoughts of it, with my glam poses!" The first pose, he arched his back, throwing one hand out to the side with the other on his temple.

The second, he half crouched, covering half his face with his hand and letting his hair hide the rest. The third, he knelt on the ground, looking up at the sky with his hands on either side of his head as he yelled into nothingness.

"He's gone batshit." Y/N stated.

"Yup." Bachira agreed. The two just stared with a mixture of interest and confusion as Aryu seemed to have a seizure at the mention of his name.

"I want the number one." Nagi's quiet voice drew Y/N's attention. He stood opposite Rin, Isagi at his side. "You take Bachira."

Bachira just grinned, focusing on Isagi. "So that just leaves..."

"Me." Y/N interrupted. He looked across the field, to where Barou was squaring up to him. The taller boy looked oddly eager to face off, eyes narrowed in determination and jaw set. "Against the selfish King."

For a few seconds, both teams watched each other. Barou seemed hyper-fixated on Y/N, but he didn't really care, just humming nonchalantly as he looked around the pitch. Nagi was eyeing up Rin, who looked like he couldn't care less.

"With that sorted..." Isagi said. "We're ready."

The whistle blew, and Rin kicked off.

🥕🥕🥕

He immediately passed backwards to Bachira, moving horizontally across the pitch to face Nagi head on. Bachira began pushing the ball forwards, up against Isagi.