2.1. Spare Cash

"Whoa, who's that?"

"He looks so handsome?! Is he a model?"

"Too short to be a model... what about the guy next to him?"

"W-wait, that's...!"

"Sae Itoshi?! The genius midfielder?!"

"Is the guy a bodyguard or something?"

"Who cares? Quick, let's get a photo!"

Two men ghosted through the city centre, in the evening.

Well, one man, and one boy. The man's magenta hair was covered by a black baseball cap, his face covered by a black facemask. He still was easily recognisable, with his teal eyes and lean, athlete's body. Aside from the mask, he had on a full black suit, the white shirt standing out against a blood red tie.

The other was dressed in similar clothing. He was much shorter than Sae, with a slight, lean build. His suit fit him perfectly, in a dark shade of red that contrasted his black shirt.

Yet, as impressively as both of them dressed, the shorter one couldn't help but grumble. He leant into Sae's side, complaining like a kid as they headed down the street. "Where are we even going?"

"Be polite." Sae chided quietly. He let Y/N lean into him though, as the two of them approached a familiar place. "Not far now."

"To what...?" Y/N blinked with confusion, walking close to Sae. The two of them turned into the main doors of Ginza subway station.

Y/N's legs were aching, barely strong enough to hold him up. He'd spent a week with Sae so far. The man had warmed up to him quite a bit - he actually spoke to Y/N without a cold look, and he didn't seem like he wanted to murder Y/N whenever he did something.

But damn, was it hard being around him. Sae pretty much thought about soccer all day, every day. He woke up thinking about soccer, and went to sleep thinking about soccer. Every day, they'd practised for 90 minute intervals multiple times, putting Y/N's stamina to the test.

Today, Sae had pushed him even harder, and Y/N's body certainly felt the aftereffects. He slowly walked into the station, wincing every so often as he tried to move. But apart from that, he did his best to not show any pain.

Ascension had taught him to never show weakness around others.

"Remember how I promised to get you good food?" Y/N blinked again. He'd been certain that Sae had already given him good food - over the past week, they'd eaten all sorts of strange, but amazing food. Sae's personal chef was certainly a master, and while the food in Bluelock had been amazing, it put that to shame.

"Kinda?" Y/N stuck close to Sae as they walked down an underground tunnel. It was packed with people moving back and forth, in stark contrast to the empty corridors of Bluelock. They turned into a smaller corridor, heading down a flight of stairs.

"Well, today we're here to try some good food." Sae glanced down at Y/N, his eyes cool and calm as ever. "Usually, you have to reserve a year in advance, but I'm good friends with the owner."

Y/N gaped. "A year? What for?" As they headed down the stairs, he slipped, arms flinging out to try and grab the handrail. A jolt of panic ran through him.

Without even looking his way, Sae grabbed his wrist, stopping him from hitting the ground. Y/N flushed, murmuring an apology as Sae carried on walking. "Sushi."

"What kind of sushi needs a year's wait?" Y/N hurried after Sae. "We can just pick that up at 7-Eleven."

"Good sushi." They stopped outside a small shop, a few stories underground. Unlike the rest of the restaurants they'd come across, this one looked much smaller, and much less developed. The front entrance was made from wooden planks, with the inside lighting being soft and yellowed from what Y/N could see.