2.2. Carbon Flavoured Eggs?

Around two weeks into his stay with Sae, Y/N awoke to bright rays of sunlight shining through the gap in his curtains.

Living with Sae, he'd never once been able to sleep in. The man always woke up at an ungodly hour, and decided that Y/N should also do the same. As such, Y/N was forced to settle into a healthier routine - waking up early to train, and sleeping early.

So when he checked the time, and saw that it was ten thirty, his eyes widened. Y/N shot out of the bed, not bothering to change out of his shorts and t-shirt as he headed for the door. It wasn't his fault, right? The apartment was so cosy and warm, and his bed was so much more comfy than the ones he'd had in Bluelock.

He dashed out onto the stairs. The penthouse was two stories tall, the main room with a completely open plan. Y/N slept on a sort of extended balcony on the second floor, up a set of metal stairs. "Sae..."

He sniffed. A slightly burning smell hit him, and his panic grew. "Sae?!"

Y/N slid down the railing, landing nimbly on both feet. He glanced around the room, immediately spotting the magenta-haired man standing at the kitchen countertop. "Sae!"

"Stop screaming my name." Sae glanced over his shoulder at Y/N. He was dressed in what Y/N assumed he thought was a casual outfit - a loose suit and polo shirt instead of a dress shirt. "What do you want?"

Y/N rushed towards him, making Sae's eyes widen slightly. The teenager didn't touch him, though. He moved past Sae, grabbing the pan that was sizzling away on the countertop. "The eggs!"

"What about them?" Sae's eyes drifted to the pan Y/N had just taken off the heat, and the slightly charred, blackened thing that should've been eggs inside. "Ah."

"I'm not even going to ask." Y/N dumped the... mess into the bin. "What are you doing?"

"Well," Sae calmly said, not at all bothered by the fact he'd managed to burn an egg to the point of blackening. "You said that you didn't want me to spend so much money, and you always look very uncomfortable when we go out to eat. So I decided to cook you something."

Y/N glanced at the countertop. Sae had whipped up a pretty good breakfast. A metal pot simmered on the counter, and he'd taken out some natto, alongside some sardines and chilled tofu. He blinked. "You did this for me?"

"Of course." Sae prepared two bowls of rice, tearing open the natto and sliding some chopped spring onion in with it. "I made some of it last night, so it wasn't much effort."

Y/N flushed bright red. He helped Sae pick up bowls of food, moving them to the dining table, and as he did, Sae ladled some kind of vegetable soup from the pot. He brought two steaming bowls over, placing them all on the table alongside some cutlery.

Both of them took their seats.

Y/N busied himself with his food. Sae's cooking was surprisingly good, and he did have to admit, it was nice eating at home instead of going outside. He was tired of fancy restaurants.

"We have a week left before the match." Sae suddenly said. Y/N looked up, a spoon of natto and rice midway to his mouth. "Is there anything you wanted to focus on before then?"

"Not really, besides my stamina."

"We've been working on that already." Sae dismissed. "But there's not much we can do to improve it in such a small time."

"Then there's nothing I can think of that'll be useful."

"There's always something to improve. How about your play with teammates? You haven't played in a proper team since... forever, actually."