1. How About It?

"Soooo, how about it?"

Y/N smiled cheerfully at the group of adults, idly balancing a football on the top of his shoe. The rain partially obscured his vision of them, curtains of water drenching his clothes and plastering his hair to his forehead. But looking closer, he could still see them talking to each other as they threw suspicious glances at him.

They were on a huge artificial pitch, surrounded on all sides by the tall, rectangular skyscrapers that formed most of the inner city of Tokyo. High flood lights cast huge beams of bright light across the field, but still in the pouring rain, it was hard to see far even with the added light.

Nobody else was out on the streets - indeed, nobody would risk the rain except for the group of soccer players gathered on the turf. And the seventeen-year old boy currently standing near them, smiling even in the bad weather.

He wore a long sleeve soccer jersey, black with red stripes down the arms and back. His shoes seemed to be pretty expensive, but well used, in the same black and red colour.

"Cmon, it's just a fun game right? No harm in letting me join?" The boy whined, flicking the ball into the air and catching it on the back of his neck. He glanced pleadingly at the other soccer players. "Pleeeease?"

"Fine." One of the men glanced at his friends. He got a few curious looks, but he simply shrugged. Y/N's e/c eyes lit up, and he stood up, letting his ball fall behind him. "He's just a kid, and like he said, we're just here for fun."

"Yo, what team is he going to be on?" Another player spoke up, his jersey covered by a dark red bib. He looked at the boy with almost disgust. "You let him join, put him on your team. I don't want him."

Instead of getting insulted, Y/N just nodded agreeably. "It's fine, I don't want you either!" He kept up the same smile the entire time.

Ignoring the other man's splutter of annoyance, the teenager turned to one of the people without a bib on. "Hi there! My name's Y/N L/N, pleased to meet you."

He extended a hand, bowing slightly and waiting patiently for a response. "I think I'm on your team..."

"Yep!" The man he'd held a hand out to eagerly accepted, shaking Y/N's hand firmly once. He seemed happy enough to accept Y/N... "Can you play defence?"

"Sure...?" Y/N's smile dimmed slightly at the question, but he nodded nonetheless. Don't particularly like it, though. Even though he wasn't here to train his shooting - these guys wouldn't really be much of a challenge for him anyway - he still wanted to try to score at least one.

"Great." The players split up from their groups, the people without red vests on heading for one side of the pitch and the red vests to the other. Y/N followed his team, skipping behind them and listening to them as they talked strategy.

"Are we sure the kid can even defend? We've lost two games already, and I don't want to lose three in a row just because we have a shit defence." One of the players said, and Y/N butted in. The other people looked at him, surprised.

"I prefer to play striker, but I'm fine playing anywhere. I'll have fun anyways." The boy froze still, the smile on his face growing distant for a few seconds as his eyes ran over the enemy players.

He shrugged. "Eh, none of them look that good anyways."

One man looked at him, and gestured to a player on the other team. He was tall, with flashy pink boots and a physique far beyond any of the other people on the field. It was obvious he was different from everyone else, holding himself high and staring over the field like he owned it.

"See that guy? Pink shoes?" Y/N nodded, pursing his lips, and his teammate spoke in almost a reverent tone. "That's Tanaka-kun. He's the best player here by far. He's on the Tokyo regional team!"