Chapter 140 - She Can Become A Hero

~~~

Akira had a nightmare. She hadn't experienced one in quite some time, probably since the League of Villains nearly killed her back during Kamino. She had woken with a start, her bedsheets slick with sweat, despite the chill of a nearing December, clutching her neck as if she was drowning. In a way, she was. She was lost underwater with her struggles, her mistakes.

Kira swung her legs out from under her covers, breathing heavily, her arms trembling as they steadied her shaking nerves. It seemed her nightmare still lingered, hanging over her like an ominous cloud. She couldn't shake off the feeling of overwhelming dread. Could it have something to do with her father's lack of reappearance? After all, he had promised to meet her soon and yet...

Her balcony door was open a fraction, blowing the curtain gently, the bottom of it scraping across her bedroom floor. She welcomed the cool breeze, freeing the sweat that clung to her skin and brushing away some of her troubles. Most of her issues would always be with her, no matter how badly she tried to be rid of them. Absent mother, dying father, an unforgiving love, an uninhabitable Quirk. At least, her training with Shinso was the start of something. A change.

Kira decided to close her balcony door fully, trapping her inside with the heat. Too much freedom can be overbearing. She stole a peek past her curtains, noticing the frost creeping at the corner of her windows, settling on the metal banister of her balcony. Snow would fall soon, she can feel it.

A creak on the floorboards outside her room caused her to spin around, her heart jolting. The memories of her nightmare flooded her mind, pulling her under again and Kira had to remind herself that she was safe here, at the school dormitories. She released her hold on the curtain, before she accidentally rips it clear off its pole and tentatively approaches her door. Perhaps, she's hearing things. What if her nightmare caused her to wake the others? The last thing she wanted to do was worry them, especially after starting to turn her life around.

Kira placed her ear against her door, but heard nothing. She must have been imagining it. She shook her head, scoffing lightly at her skittish behaviour and turned to face her window again. The curtain was still playing with the delicate breeze. Didn't she just close that damn door? She took a step, then another and looked down at her hands. They were trembling.

The last time Kira had a nightmare, only one other person chose to confront her that night. Kira closed her eyes tightly, trying and failing to drag her thoughts away, her brain and heart tangling together in an endless cycle of confusion. It was exhausting. Kira decided to look up, her eyes still closed and her infrared vision activated. This time, she meant for it to happen. Secretly, she did, because she just simply had to know. Outside, past her balcony and the woods beyond, fuzzy shapes began to form, critters running loose amongst the leaves and the shrubbery.

Kira slowly turned around, her eyes forever closed, until she faced her door. She knew she had turned correctly, because the brightest red burned right outside her room, its shape merely a mess of the colour she's grown to both hate and adore all at once. The redness glowed like his eyes, radiating so strongly, Kira's worried that it might tear her door down completely.

Only Katsuki Bakugou could burn that brightly in her eyes.

Kira opened her eyes slowly, staring at her door without a clue what to do next. Why was he there? Doing nothing? The last time she woke him with a nightmare, he assumed there were villains about. Just how desperate were her slumberous pleas?

Kira spun on her heel, until she was facing her balcony once again and marched over to it, slamming the door shut, causing the curtain to stop flapping so abruptly that it was a little unnerving. She needed to be strong, rigid, not moving around so freely, like her choices didn't have consequences. Because, she learnt the hard way that they did.