Chapter 76 - The Hostage Situation

~~~

"Die!!"

Bakugou wastes no time, dashing towards the villains with intense, explosive power. The villains had created some sort of barrier or bubble with their bodies, keeping the civilians penned inside. The 'lead' villain, standing abreast from the other civilians seems to have a HUC member in their arms, a child it seems.

The actor does a pretty good job, flailing about, kicking and screaming and the 'villains' seem intimidating enough, hugely built and dressed like they're going to a rock concert.

The villain holding the child adorns a lengthy chain in their right arm, wrapped around their wrist before attaching to his jacket at the shoulder. Probably so he doesn't release it and risk losing it.

Akira only wastes a few precious seconds glancing at her opponents, searching for clues, piecing together anything that could give her an advantage in this fight.

The head villain appears to be right-handed; they all seem to be wearing masks; dressed in thick, potentially armoured clothing; one of the three bad guys has a type of goggles on top of their head.

So much information to process with so little time.

"Coming at me while I have a hostage!?" The lead villain bellows in outrage. "What's your plan? To kill the hostage along with me!?"

Bakugou doesn't even retaliate, just sends an array of explosions at the lead villain, creating so much smoke that Akira can hardly see.

"That idiot," Kira mutters. "What the hell is he thinking?"

"He already knows that that villain is the leader," Todoroki says. "Perhaps he thinks that if he takes him down, the others will give up. Or at the very least be weakened in morale."

"And the hostage?" Kira wonders, waving away a puff of Bakugou's inflicted smoke.

Todoroki hesitates for a moment, as if trying to convince himself too. "Bakugou has very precise Quirk capabilities. I don't think he would have hurt them."

As the smoke clears, it clearly shows Bakugou's tall visage, the child hostage lugged over his shoulder like a bag of potatoes, with the lead villain in the arms of his comrades.

"One down," Bakugou says, his egotism rising steadily.

He tosses the child actor aside and prepares himself for another assault.

"Gotta admit," the lead actor villain says with a stiff groan. "Wasn't expecting that. But now, I've got both arms free."

As he speaks, the villain reveals another chain wrapped around his left wrist and attaches to the jacket on the shoulder, just like on the right side.

So, Akira's presumption wasn't accurate - he may not be right-handed.

"Let's see you try that again, kid," the villain grins, really getting into the role.

Bakugou laughs almost evilly, nearly sounding like a villain himself, before he launches across the space in an instant, sending a wave of explosions into the now-rescued civilians' face in the process.

Akira and Todoroki rush over to the actor, forcing herself into the role of hero as Bakugou continues his attack.

"Are you okay?" She questions. "Let me check you for any wounds."

In truth, she meant traps. While the lead villain had them captive, they could have planted any type of trick on them. As Kira finishes checking them over, she breathes a quick sigh of relief and nods the all-clear to her comrade.