21 The Man Who Would Be King: Part 2

We set up a trap later that night, long after Cass had left Ellsworth's. We weren't happy about it but knew it had to be done. We set the bait out once we were ready.

"Castiel, uh..." Dean bowed his head and prayed. "We need you for a little powwow down here, so come on down."

"Hello." Cass appeared.

"Oh, Johnny on the spot," Bobby said.

"You're still here," Cass said, looking surprised.

Sam nodded. "Yeah, we had to bury the bodies."

Dean smiled and raised a glass. "And we found a little whiskey. Thanks for coming."

Cass nodded. "How can I help?"

"We think we've finally figured out a way to track down Crowley," I said.

"What is it?" Cass asked as he approached us.

Nate lit a match and dropped it once Cass was in place, and a holy circle lit up in flames around him. "It's you."

"What are you doing?" Cass asked, both angry and confused.

"We gotta talk," Dean said.

"About what?" Cass asked, glaring at him. "Let me go!"

"About Superman. And Kryptonite," Dean said.

"How'd you know what I said?" Bobby asked.

"How long you been watching us?" Sam asked.

"You know who spies on people, Cass?" Dean asked. "Spies."

"Okay, just wait," Cass snapped. "I don't even know what you mean."

"What about this demon craphole? How is it so, uh... 'Next to Godliness' clean in here?" Sam asked.

Bobby nodded. "And how exactly did Crowley trick you with the wrong bones?"

Cass nodded. "It's hard to understand. It's hard to explain. Just let me go. Let me out, and I can–"

Dean shook his head. "You got to look at me, man. You got to level with me and tell me what's going on. Look me in the eye and tell me you're not working with Crowley." Cass gave him a sidelong glance before turning away. "Son of a bitch."

Cass sighed. "Let me explain."

"You're in it with him?" Dean asked, a look of hurt on his face. "You and Crowley have been going after Purgatory together? You have, huh? This whole time."

"I did it to protect you. I did it to protect all of you," Cass said.

"Protect us how?" I asked. "By opening a hole into monsterland?"

"She's right, Cass. One drop got through, and it was Eve. And you want to break down the entire dam?" Bobby asked.

"To get the souls. I can stop Raphael!" Cass yelled. "Please, you have to trust me."

Nate furrowed his brow. "Trust you?! How the hell are we supposed to trust you now?"

Cass sighed, clearly hurt by this. "I'm still me. I'm still your friend." He looked at Sam. "Sam... I'm the one who raised you from Perdition."

"You said you had no idea how he got out," I said. "How long have you been lying to us?"

Cass looked at me, unsure what to say.

"Well, no offense..." Sam said, upset. "But you did a pretty piss-poor job of it." He furrowed his brow. "Wait. Did you bring me back soulless... on purpose?"

"How could you think that?" Cass asked.

"Well, I'm thinking a lot of things right now, Cass," Sam said.