8 Family Matters: Part 2

After collecting some of our things from the car, we walked back in with the other hunters. Sam joined Christian at his table while he sharpened his machete to distract him, while Dean and I wandered back toward Samuel's office to do some snooping.

When Dean picked the lock and opened the door, Christian called out from behind us. "You two lost?"

"Had to make a phone call. Just needed some privacy," Dean said.

Christian nodded. "Oh. Samuel's locked office is pretty private."

I shrugged. "It wasn't locked."

Christian nodded with a smirk. "Who you calling?"

Dean smirked. "Your wife. Let her know I'm not gonna make it over tonight."

Christian slowly approached us with an irritated smile. "Ya know, I've tried playing nice, Dean, but I think I'm done."

"Wait, are you trying to tell me that you're a bigger knob than you've been letting on?" Dean asked.

Christian raised an eyebrow. "I'm the guy who's been here, doing my job. Who are you? You think we need you here? You walk around like you're playing pro tennis. Only action you seen lately is between your slut girlfriend's legs."

"Hey, douchebag, why don't you put the ruler away. It's not that impressive." I glared at him.

Christian turned his attention to me. "Listen, you little bi—"

"Hey, hey, hey." Dean grabbed Christian by the collar and shoved him up against the wall. "Ease up there, bud. You can mess with me all you want. But her..." He nodded at me. "She's off-limits. Trust me, you don't want to cross that line with me."

Christian scoffed. "You sure you want to come with us tomorrow?" He looked at me. "Accidents happen." Then he looked back at Dean with a smirk.

Dean let him go. "Hmm. Don't worry, man. I got your back." He patted Christian on the shoulder, and we walked down the hallway back toward the rest of the hunters.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After a long night of driving, we finally parked in the woods, a couple of miles away from a farmhouse that the vamps were supposed to be in. Everyone was armed with machetes and shotguns.

"The house is just over the hill. About a dozen vamps and the alpha. We got one shot at this son of a bitch," Samuel explained. "Christian, take flank. The rest of you are with me and Sam. Dean, Maddison, Gwen... hang back, sweep any stragglers we flush out." He instructed and then looked at Dean. "Problem, Dean?"

Dean shook his head. "No, sir."

"I'm in the rear with the rejects?" Gwen asked, pissed off.

I raised an eyebrow at her.

Samuel gave her a look. "All right, let's go."

Sam walked up to us as the group started to disperse. "Don't worry. It's fine."

Dean rubbed his forehead and sighed. "Oh, nothing's fine. You're not fine." Then he shook his head. "Go. Go."

Sam nodded, almost looking ashamed, and then followed after the group.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Twenty minutes of waiting and silence went by, and finally, Gwen approached us with an embarrassed smile.

She cleared her throat. "Sorry about the 'rejects' thing."

Dean shrugged. "Ah, been called worse."

Gwen nodded and looked down. "Just, uh, get sick of getting left behind. Think it's probably 'cause I remind him of his daughter or something."