16 The French Mistake: Part 1

March 15th – March 17th, 2012

Sam walked into Bobby's office with a handful of books and looked around, confused. "Where's Nate and Bobby?"

Dean looked up from the laptop he was working on. "In town."

I nodded. "Supply run."

"In this?" Sam asked, looking outside at the downpour of rain and the continual bursts of thunder and lightning.

Dean nodded. "Yeah, they're heroes." He shook an empty whiskey bottle he found on the desk. "We were officially out of hunter's helper."

Another thunderclap startled us all.

"Hello, kids." Balthazar appeared with a flash of lightning. "You've seen The Godfather, right?"

Dean furrowed his brow. "Balthazar..." He stood up from his chair as Balthazar approached him.

"You know, the end, where Michael Corleone sends his men to kill his enemies in one big, bloody swoop?" Balthazar placed a bowl on Bobby's desk and reached for a canister of salt on a shelf next to him.

"Hey!" Dean said, irritated by his sudden interruption.

"'Dead Sea brine,'" Balthazar read the container. "Good, good, good." He started pouring the salt into the bowl. "You know, Moe Greene gets it in the eye, and Don Cuneo gets it in the revolving door?"

"I said, 'Hey,'" Dean said, ignoring what Balthazar was rambling about.

Balthazar stopped and gave Dean a fake smile. "You did. Twice. Good for you." He clapped Dean on the shoulder and then started looking around the room. "Blood of lamb. Blood of lamb." He vanished and reappeared in the next room. "Beer, cold pizza."

We approached the doorway and noticed Balthazar rummaging in Bobby's fridge.

"Lamb blood." He pulled out a container of blood. "Yes! Blood of lamb!" Then he reappeared at the desk.

"Why are you talking about 'the Godfather'?" I asked.

"Because..." Balthazar pointed at me. "We're in it... right now, tonight. And in the role of Michael Corleone... the archangel Raphael."

"You mind telling us what you mean?" Dean asked.

Balthazar poured the blood into the bowl and then looked around the room frantically. "No, no, no. No, no, no." He took one of Bobby's desk drawers and emptied its contents onto the floor. "Yes." He looked at us happily and pulled out a clear bag with a bone inside. "Bone of a lesser saint. This vertebra will do very nicely. Your Mr. Singer does keep a beautiful pantry."

"Wait, Raphael is after you?" Dean asked.

Balthazar pulled the bone out of the bag and crushed it in his hand over the bowl. "Raphael is after us all. You see, he's consolidated his strength. And now he's on the move."

"And where's Cass?" Sam asked.

"Oh, Cassie?" Balthazar asked as he mixed the ingredients in the bowl and moved to the window. "He is deep, deep underground. So, good old Raffy put out a hit list... on every last Samaritan who helped our dear Cass. Including the three of you. And so much more importantly, me. See, he wants to draw Cass out in the open." With the blood mixture, he began painting a symbol on the window.

Sam furrowed his brow. "And you expect us to just believe you?"

"Oh, don't. You'll go where I throw you either way," Balthazar said, continuing to paint.

"What does that even mean?" I asked.

There was another huge crash of lightning.

Balthazar looked around nervously. "That's all the time we have." He rummaged inside his jacket, showing a bloodstain on his side. "Where is it?"