4 The Third Man: Part 1

July 13th – July 15th, 2011

Dean and I woke up in the Impala on the side of a busy highway. We had pulled over late the night before to get some sleep. There was still a long way to go before we reached the Campbell's base. We both stretched and yawned and then took off.

About an hour later, we grabbed burgers at a fast-food joint. While we sat in the Impala eating, Dean called Sam and put him on speaker.

"Hey. We're about eight hours out of the Campbell Base," Dean said when Sam picked up.

"Uh, change of plans. I need you to meet me. I'm in PA. Town called Easter," Sam said.

"What are you doing in Pennsylvania?" Dean asked.

"Caught a case," Sam said.

"A case?" Dean asked, "When? It's been like a day and a half."

"I like to work," Sam said.

Dean nodded. "Apparently."

"Glad we hashed that out. Call me when you roll into town," Sam said, then hung up.

Dean stared at the phone and then looked over at me. "Who died and made him boss?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dean and I pulled up to a sidewalk outside of a police station, where Sam was leaning up against his car, waiting for us. Ben had called Dean right before we pulled up, so he waited to finish his conversation before getting out, causing Sam to walk up to Dean's window.

"Ben... I know you're lying." (...) "Because I lie professionally, that's how. Now tell your mom that you broke the damn thing and take it like a man. Okay?" (...) "Okay." Then he hung up.

Sam chuckled. "Wow."

"What?" Dean asked.

Sam shrugged. "You... molding the minds of tomorrow. Who knew?"

Dean nodded. "Yeah, tell me about it."

"How'd it go?" Sam asked.

Dean furrowed his brow. "With?"

"You and Lisa. How'd she take it when you bailed?" Sam asked.

Dean shrugged. "Shockingly cool, actually."

Sam nodded. "Better for everybody."

"Yeah, I suppose." Dean nodded to Sam's car. "Still driving the plastic piece of crap, huh?"

"What's your mileage, again?" Sam smirked.

"Shut up." Dean scoffed, then he looked at me. "We'll be quick."

I nodded. "Yeah, hopefully."

They walked off to the police station, and I called Nate.

"Hey," he answered.

"Hey, Sam and Dean are working on a case. They're currently visiting a dead body in the morgue, so I need you to keep me busy." I laughed.

"Glad you at least still use me as a form of entertainment," he said.

"Oh, cry about it." I laughed. "I told you, you have nothing to worry about. I'm done throwing punches your way... for now."

He laughed. "That's reassuring, thanks, D."

"Any time." I smirked.

"So, what's the case?" Nate asked.

"Uh, to put it lightly... nasty," I said.