19 Frontierland: Part 3

We took the deputy to the jail and locked him in the cell to keep him safe.

Dean looked nervously at the clock on the wall. "Never been late in your damn life, Sam, and now you're dragging ass." He grumbled.

"So, this is your big plan, huh? Just let me rot in here till Finch comes?" the deputy asked.

Dean nodded. "Pretty much. Why's he gunning for you, anyway?"

"I guess you missed the part where we hung him?" the deputy asked.

Dean shook his head. "No, I'm thinking, to a thing like Finch, that's no big whoop. He would've just blown town, but he came back. That seems personal."

"I'll tell you what... you let me out of here, and we'll talk," the deputy said.

Dean shook his head. "No can do."

Elias walked into the jail. "Open up that cell."

"Open it yourself," Dean said. "You melt people's faces off. I'll bet you got the juice to tear that apart easy, don't you?" he asked. "Unless you can't. Just like you couldn't break those cuffs when they strung you up."

He tossed an iron nail at Elias, who caught it. Elias' hand instantly burned, and he dropped the nail in agony.

Dean smirked. "Iron shackles... iron bars, iron nail. See a pattern?" he asked. "Don't worry. Most creatures we meet can't get it up for iron."

I nodded. "It's a common monster problem."

"So, you're hunters," Elias said.

Dean nodded and pointed at his badge. "Slash sheriff."

"You know what this son of a bitch did?" Elias asked, pointing to the deputy.

"Do tell," Dean said.

"I was married to a woman. Good woman... human. We lived outside of town. Didn't bother anyone," Elias said.

Dean nodded. "Sure, freak with a heart of gold."

Elias scoffed. "You want to call me 'monster,' fine. But all we did was go into town. I go into the bank for five minutes. I come out. She's gone. And then I heard her scream." He exhaled sharply. "This... man had her pinned in the alley. I go to stop him, he pulls his gun, shoots me, then her." He looked down sadly. "She died in my arms. 'Course, I don't die. The shots brought the sheriff. Next thing I know, I'm in iron. That's why I want him just where he is... trapped, scared. I saved the best for last."

I glared at the deputy. "Is that true?"

The deputy gulped hard.

"So, tell me... are you really willing to die to protect this piece of filth?" Elias asked.

"Honestly, I could care less about him. He's a dick and a coward," Dean said.

"Hey!" the deputy shouted.

"Shut up!" I shouted back.

"But this ain't about him," Dean said. "We know what you are."

"Really?" Elias asked.

Dean nodded. "Yeah. So... we gotta kill you."

I shrugged. "Eh, I would be fine with letting him kill the deputy first."

Elias smirked. "Well, if you know what I am, then you know you can't kill me." He took the deputy's gun from his holster on the wall and shot him.

Dean raised his eyebrows. "Wow, I should've seen that coming." He looked at me. "Run." He charged for the window and jumped out.