Chapter 40

Peyton

The next morning I woke up pretty early. I've been tossing and turning since I went back to sleep. You can really tell I'm stressed out because sleep is my number one priority and I'm barely getting any of it.

I looked over to Luke's side of the bed and he wasn't there..

What the heck..

"Luke?" I called out thinking he was maybe in the bathroom.

No answer.

I sighed and slowly stepped out of bed. Maybe he slept somewhere else? Glancing in the guest bedroom, I saw that Luke was no where to be found..

Okay, seriously?

Going back into my room I grabbed my phone off my night stand to see if Luke texted me about where he was.

Nothing.

The only messages I had were from Kallie asking about where I was. I guess I could've told her I was leaving but in my defense, I had no time to waste.

I noticed that Luke's keys that he left on my night stand were gone.. Great.

This was probably all too much for him. I mean why would he want to stay around for some annoying baby that complains about not having her dad around anymore.

That of course made me tear up. Why can't anyone just stay. I don't get why people always have to leave.

Walking into my kitchen I saw that there was a note on the counter. It was from my mom telling me that she went back to the hospital.

At least someone lets me know where they are.

I grabbed a napkin and wiped my tears away. Literally anything makes me cry and it's really getting annoying. I sat on a bar stool and just looked around. The last time I was in my kitchen was the morning that I left for Georgia. My dad was so proud of me for going to college.

I always said I never wanted to go to college. School was never really my thing. I knew deep down that I would end up going but, I liked to say I wasn't just to see what his response would be.

I heard the front door open and waited for whoever it was to walk into the kitchen.

I was so shocked to see Luke limping in with a Krispy Kreme box in one hand and a coffee in the other.

I looked him down and he raised his brows. "Donuts make everything better."

I put my hand over my mouth covering up my quivering lip as tears just poured out of my eyes.

Luke tossed the box on the counter and rushed over to me.

"What's wrong?" He asked while wrapping his arms around me.

"You brought me donuts." I said between sobs.

"You don't like donuts..?"

I controlled my tears and grabbed another napkin to wipe them off. "Yes I love donuts."

He looked like he was trying to think of what to say, like he was scared that if he said the wrong thing then it would make me cry.. Which it probably would.

"You're crying because you love donuts?" The confusion in his voice was very obvious.

"No I'm crying because I love you and you got me donuts. I thought
you left." I sniffled.

He gave me that same look that he's been giving me since he got here. The look of sympathy.

Brushing a strand of hair behind my ear, he leaned in and kissed me. "That's nonsense baby. Why would you think that?"