The War Begins

"I can't believe it," I shake my head. "You went through a lot more than me. Not always fun, but that's the way of adventure."

"It doesn't matter if you went through less than me, or if you had a more relaxing time, or if you had a more mentally strained time, because really all I care about is that I get to sit here next to you with your hand in mine. All I care about is that your journey led you right back to me."

"I promised you before Kuma sent me away that I would make my way back to you, and I was not going to break that promise. Your message on the Repeat Dial was just more motivation to keep true to that promise as soon as possible."

"I had kind of forgotten about that message, but I'm glad it could help get you to me. You deserve to be with us to save Ace. He is your brother, you biological brother, after all, and that's the whole reason I've done everything I have to get to him.

"Speaking of him being my biological brother, there's something that I want to tell you, Luffy," I take a deep breath to settle my racing heart, but I know it's either now or never to tell him what I want. "I should have told you a long time ago, but I wanted to keep one thing as all mine for a little while, but now I want to tell you because there's never going to be a perfect time."

"You're talking about who you decided is your father, right?"

I nod, "To the world, I know it doesn't matter who I think is my father, but to me it means a lot. All this time I've thought it was a horrible man that hated my mere existence for half my life, but now I know that isn't true at all. Which left me with a big choice."

"Of if it's the same as Ace or not?"

"Yes, and I'm sure he didn't tell me at Alabasta for a reason, and Garp said he didn't know and gave me his thoughts, which led me to what I finally decided. What I want the world to think."

"No matter what you decided, I want you to know that I won't look at you any differently. I'll still do whatever I can to make sure that you are safe. No matter what you say, you're still just my Akari that I love so much. That I want to be with for the rest of my life."

I quickly press my lips against his as the love swirls through me. "I love you so much, Luffy, and I know that no matter what I say next that will never change. That's what makes you so good for me."

"I think we've stalled enough now," he chuckles. "Now, who have you decided to claim as your father?"

I open my mouth to answer, but someone cries out at the exact same time. "Have we made it already!?"

Luffy and I both turn our heads to see the looming door peaking out behind the fog. The World Government's symbol is slowly coming into view. My chance to tell Luffy that keeping me safe might be a little more difficult with what I finally settled on.

I sigh, "Maybe now isn't the right time."

"Are you sure?" Luffy tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "You can tell me really quick, and then we can really discuss it later."

I shake my head, "No, I want to be able to talk it out with you, but it's fine. We can wait a little longer. There's going to be plenty of time later, I'm sure of it."

"If you say so dumpling," he presses a kiss to my forehead. "I think we should head back to Jinbei as we get ready to charge in there."

"I agree," I softly smile.

Luffy stands up first, holding his hands out for me to grab so he can pull me up to my feet. The peace of the past few hours quickly fades away. There's really no turning back now, but I wouldn't want to even if I could.