Mafia AU Filler Chapter 1

I contentedly sigh as I close the book I just finished reading and set it down on my lap. Today I've been curled up on a window seat in the mansion's library. For as long as I can remember, I've always loved to spend hours and hours engrossed in novels of any kind. My brother gave me the title of Bookworm before I entered school or knew what the hell my family was up to.

My birth name is Gol D. Akari, meaning from the first breath I took, I was enshrined as mafia royalty. It isn't everyday that a girl is born into an organization that is predominantly men, so I was doted on from the start. Anything I wanted, my father, the famed Gol D. Roger, would get it for me in an instant. My mother, the always lovely Portgas D. Rouge, would do whatever she could to take away any pain that I got myself into. It was my brother, Gol D. Ace, that took me out on all kinds of adventures to make sure I didn't turn into a spoiled crybaby that couldn't put up some kind of fight. Still, I'm the Mafia Princess, and I was to be treated as one.

My father was the most famous and influential godfather the world had ever known. He has the World Government trapped within his grasp as he went out and did whatever he wanted with the wealth and power he had earned. My uncle, the 'Dark Knight' Silvers Rayleigh, always says my father did some bad things in order to achieve greater good. In my eyes, he was a loving father that wanted the absolute best for his kids no matter what happened.

My mother was a model that caught my father's eye when he was browsing some magazines one day. It only took one date for them to fall madly in love before eloping a few months later. She continued to be a model until becoming pregnant with my older brother, and switched to being a mother while also helping with internal mafia things that my father could barely stand to do. She was gracious, calculated, and didn't take shit from anyone. In my eyes she was all of that and the greatest mother that I could have ever asked for.

I grew up sheltered from the world up until I was ten. I spent my free time settled in the library reading as many books as I could while snacks were delivered to me. I went to a private school that catered to my every academic need. I had the best parents that explained in general terms what their jobs were. Then my entire world came crashing down around me one day.

I was only ten years old, taking a history test at the private school that I attended, when the principal pulled me out to inform me of the car accident my parents were in. Everything after that is a blur in my memories. I remember Ace rarely letting me out of his sight, the black dress I wore to the funeral as countless people I barely knew said their condolences, and the boy with the loveliest laugh that I met as Shanks took over.

From the day that my parents died, my life changed drastically. I was pulled into the fold of the true inner workings of my parents' business. I fully understood what the mafia was in no time at all, and I understood how precious I was for the Roger mafia and all the branches, especially the Straw Hat branch. While I continued to go to the private school and read as much as I could, my social life burst wide open.

Monkey D. Luffy helped me through my grief by just being himself, and I think I fell in love with him within days of our first meeting. He was being raised by Shanks for a few years at that point, knowing that one day Luffy would take over for the Straw Hat branch when he was old enough, and possibly one day my father's role. With that fact understood, Luffy and I spent a lot of time together, so it came as no surprise to anyone when we announced we were dating right when we turned thirteen. Then after we graduated high school, he wasted no time proposing marriage, which is what I had been dreaming of for years at that point. It has been six years since I changed my name to Monkey D. Akari, and I couldn't be more in love with Luffy. He's since taken over the role of Godfather for the Straw Hat mafia, making sure that all of his friends are taken care of no matter what.